Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

71.6GB Ninja Backup file

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing performance issues because of room in my HD. My NinjaTrader Backup folder contains a file named 2012-11-09.ntbk that is 71.6GB and another named 2012-11-07.ntbk that is 28.8GB.

Will I lose data on my current charts if I delete them? And what are they for?

Thanks,

NickF

Originally posted by NickF View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm experiencing performance issues because of room in my HD. My NinjaTrader Backup folder contains a file named 2012-11-09.ntbk that is 71.6GB and another named 2012-11-07.ntbk that is 28.8GB.

Thanks,

NickF
    Do you remember going into Control Center -> File -> Utilities -> BackUp?

Definitely strange though that a backup 2 days later is over double.

How big is your NinjaTrader7\db folder?

I'm at 12 GB, and produce 9GB backup files.

Comment

Hello NickF,

If you delete a backup file you will not lose anything inside of NinjaTrader that you are currently running. When a Backup file is created NinjaTrader will create an exact copy of the items that you have selected and place it in a different folder in-case you need to revert back to it at a later time. So since they are almost a year old, and NinjaTrader is still how you would like it setup you may want to delete your old Backup files and create a new one.

One thing to keep in mind is that when backing up NinjaTrader the "Log and Trace" files are generally not needed when backing up. Also, the next two are typically can get very large and may not be needed depending on preference, the "Historical Chart Data" can take up a very large portion as well and usually can be redownloaded from your Data Provider. The next would be the "Market Replay Data", that can get very large as well that most common instruments can be downloaded from NinjaTrader.

To see the size of how much data you have downloaded into NinjaTrader you may check the size of your (My) Documents -> NinjaTrader 7 -> db folder. This will contain all your Chart Data, Historical Trade information (Database), and Market Replay data.

Happy to be of further assistance.
      JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NickF View Post
        Hi guys,

Thanks,

NickF
        Hi Nick,

Those two files are backup files from last year. I guess that by now there are pretty useless. I suggest that you produce a new backup file now. The size of the backup file is mainly determined by

-> replay data
        -> tick data

Therefore create your new backup file and

-> select "Configuration files", "Database", "Log and trace files", "NinjaScript files", "Templates" and "Workspaces"
        -> unselect "Market replay data" and "Historical chart data"

This will create a new backup file of moderate size. Once you have created a new backup, you can simply delete some of the older backup files, which are no longer required.

You can also try to create a backup that includes historical chart data, but do not try to backup replay data, as it is the main cause of oversized backup files.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post CortexZenUSA  
        Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
        0 responses
        1 view