Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Accessing an index with a value that is invalid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing an index with a value that is invalid

I get this error:
    You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since its out of range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart.

I'm accessing a custom indicator with a data series in it and trying to reference a previous value using indicator[1]

I have the following code in my bar update method, as well

if((BarsInProgress == 0) && ( CurrentBar > 1))

I also just try to access
    HIgh[0] > High[1]

And I get errors just form that... index out of range.

I'm using maxbarsback setting and also checking CurrentBar

I'm running this with a market replay... very bizarre behavior

Comment

Originally posted by light65536 View Post
      I get this error:
      You are accessing an index with a value that is invalid since its out of range. I.E. accessing a series [barsAgo] with a value of 5 when there are only 4 bars on the chart.

I'm accessing a custom indicator with a data series in it and trying to reference a previous value using indicator[1]

I have the following code in my bar update method, as well

if((BarsInProgress == 0) && ( CurrentBar > 1))
      Unfortunately, that snippet of code does not really say much; it is just a line of code, with no context. You may have to disclose a bit more of what you are doing, even if it is in pseudo-code rather than the actual code.

You seem to be using a multi-timeframe structure, in which case you have to check all bar series for validity.

Comment

Thanks Kogaman. I am not using MTF. I am referencing a custom indicator. I have tried many ways to check if data.. such has HasValue, Count, etc... but when I try to access my custom indicator then it throws exception.

I will experiment some more today to see what I can come up with.

Comment

Can I get some help here? This is very frustrating.

I have an indicator that I'm trying to reference in my Ninja strategy but I keep getting errors on you are trying to access a value that is invalid/out of range

I am trying the following

MyIndicator.Series.ContainsValue(0) and MyIndicator.Series.ContainsValue(1)

before accessing anything... not working. It looked like it was fixed then started again.

Rather frustrated here...

Comment

Thanks Kogaman. I am not using MTF. I am referencing a custom indicator. I have tried many ways to check if data.. such has HasValue, Count, etc... but when I try to access my custom indicator then it throws exception.

I will experiment some more today to see what I can come up with.
            Then BarsInProgress is rather pointless. What we need to see in order to be able to help are:
            1. The inputs/outputs of the indicator that is being referenced.
            2. The code line in which you are writing the reference to said indicator.

Other than that, it is simply a matter of escaping the correct number of bars that do not exist at the time of reference.

Most often used is, to place this as the first line of OnBarUpdate():
            Code:
            if (CurrentBar < BarsReq) return;
            where BarsReq is usually 1, but can be any number that is appropriate for your back reference.

Comment

Okay.. so it sounds like this is another bug.. (argh). What is the proper way to test if my indicator has valid values then?

Comment

Might this have something to do with the way I'm adding series to my indicator? I am only adding a property like this.. I also add the plots. The indicator works properly but I can't access my series from my strategy. The Indicator.ContainsValue throws an exception.

I've tried

MyIndicator(...).MySeries.ContainsValue(0) && MyIndicator(...).MySeries.ContainsValue(1)
                --> throws exception... you are access an index with a value that is invalid

I need a fix for this... thanks!

[Browsable(false)] // this line prevents the data series from being displayed in the indicator properties dialog, do not remove
                [XmlIgnore()] // this line ensures that the indicator can be saved/recovered as part of a chart template, do not remove
                public DataSeries NewSeries
                {
                get { return Values[0]; }
                }

[Browsable(false)] // this line prevents the data series from being displayed in the indicator properties dialog, do not remove
                [XmlIgnore()] // this line ensures that the indicator can be saved/recovered as part of a chart template, do not remove
                public DataSeries NewSeries1
                {
                get { return Values[1]; }
                }
                Last edited by light65536; 09-16-2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Might this have something to do with the way I'm adding series to my indicator? I am only adding a property like this.. I also add the plots. The indicator works properly but I can't access my series from my strategy. The Indicator.ContainsValue throws an exception.

I've tried

MyIndicator(...).MySeries.ContainsValue(0) && MyIndicator(...).MySeries.ContainsValue(1)
                  --> throws exception... you are access an index with a value that is invalid

I need a fix for this... thanks!

public DataSeries NewSeries
                  {
                  get { return Values[0]; }
                  }

public DataSeries NewSeries1
                  {
                  get { return Values[1]; }
                  }
                  The answer is still the same as what I gave you before: you have to escape processing for the number of bars which will not be available at bar 0. In this case, as you are trying to reference the bar 1 bar back, you need to escape 1 bar.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by TraderJA, Today, 12:06 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick  
                  Started by manueldecastro, Yesterday, 10:26 AM
                  7 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby