Advice on Kinetick EOD Historical data with IB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Kinetick EOD Historical data with IB

I have just started using the Charts with NinjaTrader, so I could use just a little explanation. I am using IB as my broker, and using the EOD selection from free Kinetick - EOD. I will be looking at a lot of Weekly and Daily charts, but also need to look at 5,15, 30 and 60 min charts.

Now to my question about Historical data appearing on the charts. How many years back can I see on a stock? Do I have to actually do something to download the historical data?

Is Ninja able to combine the IB and free Kinetick EOD data?

Should the charts change quickly when I change the time frame or stock symbol, or is there always a "loading" message.

Any help is appreciated just to quickly get me up and going.

Hello specialsof,

The amount of historical data will depend on the instrument. Typicaly you can expect 10 years of historical daily data for commonly traded stocks.

You can set the Kinetick EOD feed to be the backup feed of Interactive Brokers.

To do this you will need to go to Tools > Account Connections, select your IB connection and click Change. Then click Next, set Backup datafeed connection to Kinetick - End Of Day (Free) and click Next > Next > Finish. Then connect to IB and then to Kinetick EOD.

When ever you make a change to the data on the chart it will need to be reloaded.
    Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for this,but couple follow up questions:

On the General dialog and the option "Historical", do I leave that set to "Use Interactive Brokers servers" or do I uncheck that?

Also, it still only shows data back a year for like daily or weekly. Should it now show longer?

I noticed if I don't select my Interactive Broker connection, but rather just directly to the free Kinetick EOD data, that it will actually show data back for 5 years (like for WMT or AA). Can this show 10 years?

Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Hello specialsof,

You will want to select Use Interactive Brokers servers so you can receive intra-day historical data.

When setting the chart to weekly or monthly please right click on the chart, select Data Series and increase the days to load.

With the Kinetick EOD feed I am able to get data to 1996 for AA and WMT. Please set the Days to load to a value of 77589 or greater to go back to 1996.

Comment

Thanks for the help. When I have IB selected as the main connection, and then Kinetick free EOF selected as the backup server, it will only give one year of data for like Daily and Weekly charts.

Perhaps I am confused: I realize I am using IB for Intra data, but shouldn't Ninja somehow switch to Kinetick free EOD for the other historical data so that I get a longer time frame?

Like I said, if I am just using free Kinetick EOD without IB, then like you I can go back to like 1996.

I getting close to this working - so thanks for helping me with this.

Comment

Hello specialsof,

When connecting to IB first, you will only receive historical data from IB.

Below is a link to the Multiple Connections section of our help guide for further information.
            http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...onnections.htm

Comment

Ok, Bingo.... I "think" I have got it, but please verify this with me please.

In the Tools Connection, I do have Connection Options set as this: I have Interactive Brokers set as the "Provider" and then "Kinteck free EOD" set as the Backup datafeed connection. In the lower section titled "Historical" I have Interactive Brokers set as the one for historical data.

Now HERE is the big change I just made that allows me to see many years for Daily and Weekly.

From File... Connect.... I select Kinteck Free EOD as the connection, then when that connects I again select File... Connect... and then select my Interactive Broker data.

Is This Correct? or am I missing something?

Thanks for helping me with this.

Comment

Correct to receive historical Daily data from Kinetick you will want to connect to the Kinetick End of Day (Free) connection first and IB second.
                Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherS View Post
                  Hello specialsof,

The amount of historical data will depend on the instrument. Typicaly you can expect 10 years of historical daily data for commonly traded stocks.

You can set the Kinetick EOD feed to be the backup feed of Interactive Brokers.

To do this you will need to go to Tools > Account Connections, select your IB connection and click Change. Then click Next, set Backup datafeed connection to Kinetick - End Of Day (Free) and click Next > Next > Finish. Then connect to IB and then to Kinetick EOD.

When ever you make a change to the data on the chart it will need to be reloaded.
                  Hi I am trying to make this work with a daily Continuous contract ES##-## and a 15 min chart of ES 09-12 : it gives me a blank chart even though I am connected to both IB (primary) and Kinetick EOD (secondary). The 15 min chart getting data from IB is appearing fine.

Is it possible to have a continuous contract on a daily chart getting data from kinetick EOD and a 15 min front-month contract getting data from IB, both up at the same time ?
                  Last edited by qewcool; 06-10-2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Hello qewcool,

Can you please reverse the connection sequence. Connect to Kinetick EOD first and IB second.

This way historical daily data is loaded from Kinetick and not IB.
                    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                      Hello qewcool,

Can you please reverse the connection sequence. Connect to Kinetick EOD first and IB second.

This way historical daily data is loaded from Kinetick and not IB.
                      You mean make Kinetick EOD the primary connection and IB secondary in a new account entry ? or just use the same account setup and change the order of connection ?

Comment

Same account setup just change the order of connecting.

-Brett

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                          Same account setup just change the order of connecting.

-Brett

Working now. Thank you for the help.

Comment

Noticed that if I send execution orders via NT it gets submitted to Kinetick not IB with this order of connection so its not good really.

Any way around this ?

Comment

Kinetick is not a broker so I do not see how orders are submitted to Kinetick. What account is reflected in the Control Center-->Orders-tab?

Orders are submitted to the account that is selected in the order entry window or when you apply your automated strategy.
                              JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Irukandji, Yesterday, 05:50 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Irukandji  
                              Started by Creamers, 04-27-2024, 05:32 AM
                              10 responses
                              0 likes