Go Back   NinjaTrader Support Forum > NinjaScript Development Support > Indicator Development

Indicator Development Support for the development of custom indicators using NinjaScript.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Zapzap

Default Time of bar open and close

Is there a way to get the open and close time of a tick-chart bar?

I would like to make a small indicator that shows how much time was needed for eg. a 200 tick bar to get created.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
NinjaTrader_Joydeep
NinjaTrader Customer Service

Hello Zapzap,
Thanks for writing in and I am happy to assist you.

Unlike minute based bars where the end time can be predetermined, the end time of the tick bars cannot be predetermined. As such you cannot make an indicator which determines the end time of a tick bar.

I look forward to assist you further.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
koganam

Thanked 1,977 times in 1,616 posts
Send a message via Skype™ to koganam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapzap View Post
Is there a way to get the open and close time of a tick-chart bar?

I would like to make a small indicator that shows how much time was needed for eg. a 200 tick bar to get created.
The time taken to build the last bar is:
Code:
TimeSpan timeElapsed = Time[2] - Time[1];
regardless of the type of bar you are using. If you want that in seconds, you will have to cast it correctly, thus
Code:
timeElapsed.TotalSeconds
By the same token, the time that has elapsed since the last bar, provided you have COBC = false, is Time[0] - Time[1].

That having been said, you sound like you are reinventing the wheel: NT ships with an indicator called BarTimer that does what you want.
Last edited by koganam; 02-22-2012 at 01:22 PM.
The following 3 users say thank you to koganam for this post:
Old 02-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Zapzap

Joydeep: I don't want to predetermine anything. I'd like to know "how much time was needed for a bar"

koganam: Thanks a lot I knew it was easy, I haven't programmed NT for 3 years though.

BTW: BarTimer is an indicator for minute based charts showing how much time is left. So I needed the new wheels.
Last edited by Zapzap; 02-22-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
koganam

Thanked 1,977 times in 1,616 posts
Send a message via Skype™ to koganam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapzap View Post
...BTW: BarTimer is an indicator for minute based charts showing how much time is left. So I needed the new wheels.
Drat! Now why did I think that it was the other way round, and would only work on non-fixed timeframe charts? I must be going bonkers.