Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Reference NtDirect.dll in VS2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reference NtDirect.dll in VS2010

I am attempting to reference NTDirect.dll from VS2010.

Getting an error stating "A reference to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Ninjatrader 7\Bin\NtDirect.dll' could not be added. Please make sure that the file is accessible, and that it is a valid assembly or COM component"

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I have tried copying the file to the visual studio project directory and still I get the same error message.
    Last edited by traderji; 12-28-2011, 04:46 AM.

My Google-Fu is weak but I have found some discussions about this issue going to back to 2008 (!).

So now I know

- NtDirect.dll is a plain old dll file and cannot be used within .net app unless you mess around with something called Interop.

- There is another dll called NinjaTrader.Client.dll which is a fully managed .net assembly and can be directly added as a reference to your C# application. And I found a sample C# app that shows making a connection to NT and placing an order via command.

But Derek from NT support that posted the following warning "We don't recommend you mess about with NinjaTrader.Client.dll and instead use Interop & NtDirect.dll" . Derek posted this comment in 2008.

My question is

- Now almost four years later is there still an issue with using NinjaTrader.Client.dll?
    - Is there any difference in functionality between NtDirect.dll and NinjaTrader.Client.dll ?
    Last edited by traderji; 12-28-2011, 05:19 AM.

Comment

traderji,

Unfortunately this level of coding is unsupported. However, I would suggest following the hints here : http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?p=27661 as Dierk is intimately involved in engineering the NinjaTrader platform.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
      Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Adam, Thanks for your reply. Please read my follow up post above. I did read Dierk's posts (which I refer to), however Dierk posted those comment about 4 years ago (Jan 2008). All I am asking now is

- Now almost four years later is there still an issue with using NinjaTrader.Client.dll?
        - Is there any difference in functionality between NtDirect.dll and NinjaTrader.Client.dll ?

Surely these questions are not so advanced that they are unsupported. Maybe you could ask Dierk if his comments from 2008 are still valid?

Comment

traderji,

There is no issue with using NinjaTrader.Client.dll as long as you are careful, it is just not recommended. You may use the NinjaTrader.Client.dll any way you want, however we cannot support any issues that arise from doing so as we simply do not have the time resources. We try to help everyone equally and coding/debugging projects can sometimes take hours thus tying us up and making us unable to help as many people. However, we try to do our best to point you in the right direction.

To be clear : You can reference the NinjaTrader.Client.dll the way you found, but it is unsupported.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
          Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Is there any documentation or sample code that you can provide? Anything at all would be very useful.

Comment

Hi traderji,

Unfortunately this area of NinjaTrader is not documented or supported.
              Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by gwenael, 04-27-2024, 09:29 AM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post gwenael
              by gwenael

Started by thread, 04-15-2024, 11:58 PM
              2 responses