Optimizations and Multi Core computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimizations and Multi Core computers

I did a search on this, but I wasn't sure I understood what the issue is.

I have a two core computer. I'm doing 1 optimization at a time. NT isn't utilizing both cores at the same time for this 1 optimization. Can I get NT to take advantage of both at the same time?

Do I need to be running 64 bit for this to happen?

I think there may be a bug with NT 7. Or else it has something to do with Windows XP64 (I'm running 64 bit windows, but the 32 bit version of NT).

I was getting only 1 core used as noted in my first post. But I set the Affinity to 1 core on the NT process, then set it back to 2 cores and suddenly both cores are being used now.

Something fishy is going on. Hopefully you guys can take care of it.

Comment

Hello lookOutBelow,

NinjaTrader 7 comes with optimized multi core/multi-processor support. This would allow you to make full usage of multi-core/ multi-processor hardware. However, due to the nature of the Window OS, NinjaTrader 7 would not be able to fully use all available multi-cores/multi-processors at any given time.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
        Hello lookOutBelow,

NinjaTrader 7 comes with optimized multi core/multi-processor support. This would allow you to make full usage of multi-core/ multi-processor hardware. However, due to the nature of the Window OS, NinjaTrader 7 would not be able to fully use all available multi-cores/multi-processors at any given time.
        So basically NT is not multi core capable? But it is because of Windows?

If Windows is the root of the cause, why do other apps I run take advantage of all cores and NT does not?

Comment

Sorry? Not sure I follow what exactly you are asking.

NT supports multi-cores. Applications that use multi-core are all specifically programmed to do so. NT does not use multi-cores on all operations. If you want to see multi-core use, throw up a really long optimization and you will see it use all your cores.
          Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Okay. That ("NT does not use multi-cores on all operations") makes more sense. What Jason first copy/pasted (I saw it in another thread too) was not as clear. Almost made it sound like NT can't use all cores at any one time.

Comment

I just installed a i7 970 chip today and am running NT 7 64 Bit w/ Windows 7. I see it using all six cores, but even in a heavy multi-hour optimization, I don't see it using any of the individual cores more than 20-30%. What could be the source of this low utilization?

Notes: I'm running solid state drives, super fast 12G ram, everything on SATA 3 6GB wiring. So I'm wondering where the bottle neck is which will not allow me to fully use all the core.

Thanks!

Comment

They recently made a changed which disables multicores during optimazation if you are using bools or enums as parameters.... if you're doing that, it would explain what you're seeing...

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=31816

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:24 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post ZenCortexAuCost  
                Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:22 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes