NT and Win 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT and Win 7

i am getting a new computer but i wonder how NT 6.5 has been running with windows 7? any feedback with this?

Hello ericgood,

NinjaTrader 6.5 is supported on Windows 7 and will run as expected.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks jason,

how about if the win 7 machine is 64 bit instead of 32 bit. is 6.5 still supported with 64bit?

thanks!

eric

Comment

Hi ericgood,

NinjaTrader 6.5 on 64 bit machines should work, and we will support it. Now, there are a few known issues that do not affect how NinjaTrader runs, and if you have any issues independent of those known issues we are more than happy to offer you any support we can.
        Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hey Ryan,

I am having a slight problem with WIN7 x 64, NT6.5 and NT7 (latest builds of both). I'm sure its something on my side.

Sometimes when I try to export an indicator I get an error. The trace file dictates the following

2010-06-03 00:08:25:800 ********* exception trapped *********
          2010-06-03 00:08:25:800 Access to the path 'C:\Users\Anthony\Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\Custom\Tmp\MercurySupportResistance.dll' is denied.
          2010-06-03 00:08:25:800 at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
          at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
          at NinjaTrader.Code.ExportNinjaScriptForm.DoExportSou rces(String assemblyName, StringCollection indicatorList, StringCollection strategyList, String zipFilename)
          at NinjaTrader.Code.ExportNinjaScriptForm.OnExport(Ob ject sender, EventArgs e)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
          at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
          at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

If I try to export a few times it will finally work, but I then need to restart NT because charts dont load.

Any ideas?
          mrlogik
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Purelogik Trading

Comment

Hi mrlogik,

Thank you for your post.

With that information I can speculate. Can you please forward the log and trace files from today's date so that we can review those in greater detail.

You will want to send those files to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com.

Please reference this forum post, and we will be able to use those files to offer some insight into the particular causes.

Trace files will be located by going to My Documents->NinjaTrader 6.5(7)->Trace-> trace.2010xxxx.txt
            Log files will be located by going to My Documents->NinjaTrader 6.5(7)->Log->log.2010xxxx.txt

Comment

You got it.

Thanks
              mrlogik

Comment

Just an FYI for anyone experiencing a similar problem, my antivirus (AVGFree) was interfering with NTs export function.

When NT exports a file it creates either a temporary or permanent DLL file in its tmp folder. Since DLLs can be associated with viruses, the antivirus software would attempt to scan it. This would interfere with NTs exporting function.

The solution to this problem is to add the MyDocuments\NinjaTrader xx\ folder to the ignore path of the antivirus software.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
                mrlogik

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
                  Hi ericgood,

NinjaTrader 6.5 on 64 bit machines should work, and we will support it. Now, there are a few known issues that do not affect how NinjaTrader runs, and if you have any issues independent of those known issues we are more than happy to offer you any support we can.

Hello, I'm upgrading to a new PC, Win 7 64 bit with 24gb RAM but would like to run NT 6.5 on my live strategies until NT 7 is out of beta.

Will NT 6.5 run on Windows 7 64 bit, and benefit from the additional RAM above 4GB, and what are issues/problems with NT 6.5 running live statagies on Win 7 64bit? (I use IB as my broker)

Thanks
                  Last edited by John833; 08-08-2010, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Hello John833,

NinjaTrader 6.5 is supported on Windows 7 64 bit.

NinjaTrader 6.5 supports multi-core/multi-processor hardware. NinjaTrader internally supports multiple threads of executions which would be run by the Windows OS on different cores/processors. However, NinjaTrader 6.5 is not optimized to make full usage of multi-core/ multi-processor hardware.

NinjaTrader 7 comes with optimized multi core/multi-processor support. Please see the link below for more information.

General Application Performance
                    This is an area that we spent a lot of time on during the development of NinjaTrader 7. We re-wrote core sections of the application to be more efficient in terms of memory usage and CPU utilization.

However, due to the nature of the Window OS, NinjaTrader 7 would not be able to fully use all available multi-cores/multi-processors at any given time.

Unfortunately NinjaTrader 6.5 does not allow you to save your strategy settings. So if you experience a disconnection, you will need to re-configure your strategy and activate it again. This has been improved in NinjaTrader 7. Please see the following link under 'Understanding the NinjaScript tab' for more information.
                    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...tegies_tab.htm
                    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jason; 08-12-2010, 08:38 AM.
                    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jason, your reply was very helpful

Comment

Jason,
                        I am currently running Ninjatrader 6.5 with windows 7 and I get a 2 kinds of error.

1. Unable to restore workspaces; Invalid URI the host name could not be parsed.
                        2. NT has detected a problem and needs to shut down. Information has been written to the trace file.

I am not sure what is going on but this happens all the time. Any suggestion? I am looking for the trace file but have not found its location. Please help. Thank you.

Comment

Hi hu1388,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the forum.

Please send your log and trace files to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com.

Trace files will be located by going to My Documents->NinjaTrader 6.5->Trace-> trace.2010xxxx.txt
                          Log files will be located by going to My Documents->NinjaTrader 6.5->Log->log.2010xxxx.txt

Also, can you please clarify if you are using a virtualization software for Windows 7 on a Mac because that message is similar to what we see sometimes when installing on a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by hu1388 View Post
                            Jason,
                            I am currently running Ninjatrader 6.5 with windows 7 and I get a 2 kinds of error.

1. Unable to restore workspaces; Invalid URI the host name could not be parsed.
                            2. NT has detected a problem and needs to shut down. Information has been written to the trace file.

I am not sure what is going on but this happens all the time. Any suggestion? I am looking for the trace file but have not found its location. Please help. Thank you.
                            Hello hu1388, and welcome also to the forum!

A quick question, are you running NT on a PC or a Mac?

Thanks

Comment

'Understanding the NinjaScript tab'

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                              Hello John833,

NinjaTrader 6.5 is supported on Windows 7 64 bit.
                              Unfortunately NinjaTrader 6.5 does not allow you to save your strategy settings..... Please see the following link under 'Understanding the NinjaScript tab' for more information.
                              http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...rical_data.htm
                              Hi Jason,

So glad that W7 x64 is supported with NT 6.5 &&& 7 !! The link in your message doesnt get me to a tab as specified in your reply. Can you be more specific?

Thanks
                              Jon

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by manueldecastro, Today, 10:26 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post manueldecastro  
                              Started by RaddiFX, Yesterday, 09:55 PM
                              4 responses