strategy persistence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strategy persistence

Beta15, if you reset a simulated account (without resetting historical data) all of your strategies disappear from the strat tab.

In my opinion, and I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this, strategies should only disappear from the strategies tab if you click on remove (or clear out NT etc)

Hello dave1992,

Thank you for your post.

The behavior you describe here is expected. When the Sim101 account is reset, all strategies that are attached to Sim101 are reset.

With that said, I will forward your comments on this to my development team for further consideration.

Thank you for your feedback.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I really don't think that should be the behaviour. The whole benefit of persistence is essentially not having to mess around typing all the parameters and mouse clicks and windows again.

By all means disable strategies when you reset accounts, but to remove them is overkill. I mean, if a strategy was disabled, you could add money to your account, or even edit the strategy and change the account! So clearly account reset and removal of persistence of strategies should not be related.

Apart from all that, I now have to resubmit 15 strategies. It's very annoying..... ;-)

Comment

It also happens when a strategy fails for some reason.

Is there not an xml file I can save and then just copy back after this has happened.

Do you agree it would be better the way I have described?

thanks
        Dave

Comment

Hi dave1992,

After configuring your strategy, please right click on the strategy grid and save as default.
          When adding the strategy back, it will use all of the same settings you defined as the new default.

Comment

Thanks.

I think you mean the strategy config window - there is no set default from the strategy grid (in the strategies tab)

That doesn't really help at all. I still have to manually bring up the new strategy window 20 times, and each time there are about 6 clicks just to set the instrument. It takes a while.

If possible could you please answer the two questions I asked.

thanks
            Dave

Comment

Hi dave1992,

You are correct, I was referring to the strategy config window. Sorry for the confusion.

There is not an xml file or any other type of file you could use to automate the process of readding your strategies. I will, of course, forward this suggestion on to my development team for further consideration.

Comment

I second that suggestion. I am just beginning to use the strategies tab and if I have to add strategies repeatedly for any reason, since I have 20 or so it would be a great help to have an xml file with them all stored.

Comment

It gets worse. Every time you rewind your market reply, it resets the replay account, which means that all of your strategies disappear. Since I am testing 20 in market replay, there is no way I am going to re-enter 20 strategies every ten minutes.

This means market replay is pretty much unusable for my testing.

Personally I consider this to be a major design flaw of the recently implemented 'persistence' functionality. I do hope Ninja agree and fix this as soon as possible. I can't think of any reason why you'd want your persisted strategies to disappear, except for clicking on remove, which is really quick and easy.

thanks
                  Dave

Comment

Even if there is a good reason you want the strategies to be ditched like that, it should be an option in the configuration to allow it, so that it doesn't have this impact on people who have multiple strategies.

Comment

So, did the dev team consider it yet?

Comment

Hello dave1992,

This is on my development team's list of future considerations for the software.

Comment

OK. I was rather hoping they'd consider it soon and see it was important enough to fix soon, rather than just on some list of enhancements to be considered at some point in the future.

While you might say it's expected, as far as I'm concerned it's a major bug in the new persistence functionality.

thanks
                          Dave

Comment

Dave,

Unfortunately this is expected when you are on Sim101 and will not be changed at this point in time as changing something here would represent considerable architectural changes and we will not want to introduce this unknown risk at this point of the beta. When you reset Sim101 you are literally "nuking" everything related to that account. There is no way you can persist anything related to an account that is simply gone and as such the strategies will be removed on resets. If you are using live accounts you will not run into this issue.
                            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

1. It's not just Sim101 though is it. It's every sim account.
                              2. There is a big difference between an instance of a running strategy and a strategy template that can be disabled/enabled. I'm sure there may be people who want a running instance to be persisted, but in this case all people want is the template - so they don't have to re enter all strategies.
                              3. This template should not be so closely tied to an account. It's just unnecessary. The proof of that is that you can edit a strategy and change the account. That proves that the strategy entry is not an attribute of an account to be 'nuked' when the account is reset. Poor architecture design if it is.
                              4. Market replay is unusable for a many strategy test. No one is going to re enter many strategies every time they rewind the replay.

I realise you're not going to change this, it's just VERY annoying.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bobwest, 03-27-2018, 05:46 AM
                              20 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post Kaiviti57  
                              Started by Balage0922, Yesterday, 07:38 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Eduardo