Problems on start up of NT7 beta 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems on start up of NT7 beta 10

After clean install of beta 10 and running it for the first time NT crashed after splash screen with the following error (from trace file - attached):

2010-02-24 22:54:52:835 in OnUnhandledApplicationException
    2010-02-24 22:54:53:035 ********* exception trapped *********
    2010-02-24 22:54:53:035 The type initializer for 'NinjaTrader.Cbi.AutoTrade' threw an exception.
    2010-02-24 22:54:53:035 System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'NinjaTrader.Cbi.AutoTrade' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Greg\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\Config.xml' because it is being used by another process.

After killing the process and starting again it loaded Control Center but with opening new chart for the first time (with default settings: 1min,etc) it completely froze plus killed my mouse/touchpad.

After restarting the PC and running NT again NT loaded but opening the new chart also resulted in NT7 freeze (this time sparing my mouse).

Killing the NT7 process and running NT one more time - it finally loaded the chart.

Attached is the trace file with my first experiences. My setup: Windows 7 x64
    Attached Files

This unlikely is NT related but related to e.g. a virus scanner pr back software which looks files which NT needed to access.

Please make sure not such program would lock files in <my documents>/NinjaTrader7

Comment

I also think the first error was just accidental.

The more frustrating is the NT freezing after opening the chart for the first time.

It happens always when NT7 is started for the first time (like after restart). But it works fine when run for the second time. Do you also think it is due to some other programms like Antivirus?

Comment

>> The more frustrating is the NT freezing after opening the chart for the first time.
        Please be specific. What do you mean by "freezing"? Would it be like "loading data..." on the chart but nothing happens? or something different?

Comment

After choosing new -> chart and choosing default settings for one of the istruments, clicking OK - the Control Center becomes greyed out (it is Windows 7) with "Control Center (Not responding)" in the window title. The new chart window doesn't even open so there is no "Loading Data"
          Last edited by gregid; 02-24-2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Are you connected as you tried that? If so, to which provider?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
              Are you connected as you tried that? If so, to which provider?
              I was connected to Gain free demo connection (connection on start up).

But I just tried it without any connection at all (disabling connect on start up) The result is in the following screencast (I restarted my PC just before I started recording (the problem is only when I start NT for the first time after restart or shut down)

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Comment

Curious: which virus scanner would you have installed?

Also: Would you have any kind of backup program running which would backup files "permanently", meaning as they had been changed.

This is pure speculation, but I'm wondering if there actually is something running which would lock up files in the directory <my documents>/NinjaTrader7 which NT would need to access but they are locked by some software.

Comment

I use Avast Home Edition as my antivirus, but I've just did a test with Avast disabled and the problem persists so I think we could exclude the antivirus as a cause

And no there is no backup programme running at all

I don't think the problem is with accessing the data as even when I open chart with no data loaded before when it should simply open new blank chart window, it freezes instead

Also you should know that the first time I experienced this problem was with Beta 8 but because I had it installed late and I skipped Beta 9 I didn't report on this before.

It was all working fine with Beta 7 as far as I remember
                  Last edited by gregid; 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM.

Comment

There was definitely something locking your files as per your post #1. I suggest settings up your virus scanner so it would not touch <my documents>/NinjaTrader7 to avoid further trouble there.

In the "open a chart" freeze: can you reproduce this "reliably"?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                      There was definitely something locking your files as per your post #1. I suggest settings up your virus scanner so it would not touch <my documents>/NinjaTrader7 to avoid further trouble there.

In the "open a chart" freeze: can you reproduce this "reliably"?

1. Locking: Is it possible that I accidentally opened 2 instances of NT at the same time (by clicking 4 times) and one of them locked config.xml file?

2. Yes, the "open a chart" freeze happens ALWAYS after restarting a computer and running NT7 for the first time after reboot. Sometimes when it freezes it also kills my mouse (it happened twice so far)

Comment

1) no
                        2) this rather looks like a PC or installation problem. Apart, from the "usual suspect" = reinstalling .NET, I would not know at this time what else could be done.

Comment

reinstalling .NET framework under Windows 7

I understand that this may be outside of your support but...
                          Can anyone advise me on how to reinstall .Net framework for Windows 7?

The problem with Windows 7 is that it comes with .Net framework preinstalled and is part of Windows components so if anyone from NT support or other users can direct me on how to acomplish this with Windows 7 - I would appreciate this

Comment

No it's not outside what we support. A member of our team will assist you shortly....

Comment

Thank you Dierk

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                              11 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post xiinteractive  
                              Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                              1 response