Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

length and measure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

length and measure

Could someone please explain how to convert a text.length to the correct value for a rectangle width?

The int value is 28 which is the no of characters but my rectangle is 28 pixels - I think. I have looked through msdn but it is just defeating me and I know it will be simple :-)

Unfortunately this is beyond the support we can provide. Hopefully another forum member with experience in this area can help you.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Mindset, you have to use ChartGraphics.MeasureString(...) for that purpose.

Regards
      Ralph

Comment

Still not there

Hi Ralph

That is what I thought with my research but I am missing a piece of the puzzle

width = ChartGraphics.MeasureString(tempstr , textFontBold);

I get the error that graphics doesn't exist. I have a plot override but this statement is outside it - is that not ok?

Could you show an example?

Comment

Hi Mindset,

I made a mistake in my description. "ChartGraphics" is the name of a local variable, and therefore meaningless to you. "ChartGraphics" is the reference to first parameter of the Plot() method (Graphics object). Finally I use "ChartGraphics" outside Plot(), but I set it inside Plot(), every time Plot() is invoked.

Regards
          Ralph

Comment

half understand

Ralph

I think I sort of get some of what you are saying. Having had no formal programme training my knowledge is mostly from library books and cutting/pasting other people's code to fit together to do what I want it to do.

I have learnt to a very basic level along the way.

There is in fact a ChartGraphics.Graphics Property ( just to add to the confusion in my head) on msdn (lol).

I shall get there in the end but your comment about outside plot() and inside plot every time it's invoked left me puzzled.

Comment

Hi Mindset,

I appreciate your comment.
              Let's clarify some of the issues. The first is: I can't find a "ChartGraphics" in the MSDN Doc. Do you have a link for that?

Regards
              Ralph

Comment

chartgraphics

I found that property here

I am a teensie bit further forward.
                I have moved my string to the variables section and I can now get a SizeF.

I understand this to give 4 floating point nos delineating the string in a box (rectangle)

When I then try and define a new rectangle it says it can't convert from float to int?? Ha Ha!!

Comment

How do you want to use the SizeF? To create an rectangle? Is your system based on double, float, or integer?

Regards
                  Ralph

Comment

rectangle

Appreciate this Ralph. My SizeF is called stringsize.

I assumed this would work if I created a rectangle using SizeF

Rectangle rect = new Rectangle(5,stringsize.Height,stringsize.Width,tex tFontBold.Height);

params 2 and 3 are the problem. 1 and 4 seem fine.

My reference book (Learn c# in 21 days (Sams)) has no info on this either.

I am just not getting the whole concept here - does SizeF not contain all the info necessary to create a whole rectangle as it holds 4 points?

On msdn it looks like I should use RectangleF and then just add a start point

eg RectangleF rectF =
                    new RectangleF(myLocation, stringSize);

but that doesn't work either.

You can probably sense I am getting quite frustrated with this.
                    Last edited by Mindset; 11-14-2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Hi Mindset,

hard to judge at which day they would teach the SizeF in their books, obviously after day 21 :|

Let's make an end with your frustration.
                      SizeF contains 2 values, what ever that means, you could use such structure whereever you need a value pair. These values are float. A RectangleF needs 4 coordinates or a PointF and a SizeF:
                      Stores a set of four floating-point numbers that represent the location and size of a rectangle. For more advanced region functions, use a Region object.

I guess myLocation isn't a SizeF?
                      Rectangle needs 4 coordinates or a Point and a Size, all integers:
                      Stores a set of four integers that represent the location and size of a rectangle.

I do operate with integers preferable. If you do too, I would recommend to convert the SizeF to a Size and then your Rectangle-Construction should work. Here are 2 examples how to convert:
                      SizeF strSizeF = Graphics.MeasureString(str, stringFont);
                      Size strSize = Size.Ceiling(strSizeF);
                      Size strSize = Size.Truncate(strSizeF);

Let me know, if that works.

Regards
                      Ralph

Comment

Update

Ralph

Apologies - have been away and still struggling with this Size and SizeF thing.
                        appreciate all your help but I will take this info, go into my cave, and try and get it all right in my head.

Comment

Inching forward

ok - I have started to get some of the concepts of the rectangle. Still don't get what the difference is between canvas and bounds. Actually I don't really get bounds either but never mind - I can use it.

Thanks for the explanation of coridinates vs integers - that was a major stumbling block for me before you explained so succinctly.
                          my problem now is the width of the string. i am using stringbuilder to compose a string and my size keeps getting a very small measurement.
                          I am measuring as the stringbuilder is finished - is there something special I am missing/ need to do?

Comment

Hi Mindset,

bounds is the rectangle describing the dimension of your canvas, nothing more. The graphics object is the instantiation of a graphical class containing all the functionality needed for the interaction with the canvas (i.e. measurestring()).

Measurestring returns that SizeF structure, wich contains 2 values. One is the width and one is the hight of your string. Since you have to hand over a font object as second parameter, MeasureString() knows how to calculate the width correctly. It doesn't matter with which tools you constructed the string.

Regards
                            Ralph

Comment

Disappearing up my own smoke

Hi Ralph

Just spent a v frustrating hour or so with this.

Code:
                              int height2 = (textFontBold.Height * 3);
                              width3 =  graphics.MeasureString(incomingpath ,textFontBold);	//SizeF
                              int pointx = ChartControl.Bounds.Left;
                              int pointy = ChartControl.Bounds.Top;
                              int width4 = Size.Ceiling(width3);// error??
                              Rectangle rectangle1 = new Rectangle(pointx,pointy,width4,height2);
                              graphics.DrawRectangle(borderPen,rectangle1);
                              I get an implicit conversion error on the width4 variable.
                              Last edited by Mindset; 11-24-2009, 11:16 AM. Reason: slight code adj

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by set2win, 08-04-2021, 09:23 AM
                              39 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post WaleeTheRobot  
                              Started by md4866, Today, 08:15 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post md4866