Go Back   NinjaTrader Support Forum > Application Technical Support > Installation and Licensing

Installation and Licensing Support for installation and licensing of NinjaTrader.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
srvsrv

Default Data only Account Connection to a Broker

While I had a "free" license I was able to get data from TDAmeritrade, though I rarely did.
Now that I have a paid, single broker (IB) license, I can no longer get data from TDAmeritrade.
I didn't notice this until recently when TDA bought TOS and has been providing 'free' real time futures data for funded accounts, (even though TDA does not currently support trading futures.)

IB's feed is somewhat deficient for my needs and so I pay DTN for their IQFeed. I would like to at least test TDA's futures datafeed with Ninja to see if it is adequate for my needs.

Please, how do I access the data-feed from TDA w/out having to pay for a multibroker license?

thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
NinjaTrader_Ben
NinjaTrader Customer Service

Hello,

If you are using the free license, you can access any data feed. If you have a live single broker license you will only have access to one broker technology at a time, but you can change that broker technology at any point. Just email us from help>mail to support and request it.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
srvsrv

Default Data only Account Connection to a Broker

A free license key enables connecting to all supported data feeds.

A single broker license key, not only enables trading with a single broker, it also disables obtaining data from any other broker.

I don't understand this.
My understanding was that by paying for a "single broker key" - I would not lose anything, only gain the ability to trade with the broker I designate.

Can someone point me to what I missed on the web site or in the documentation where it is stated/explained that a paid single broker key, not only adds functionality by enabling live trading with the designated broker, it also removes functionality by blocking data from all the other brokers.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
NinjaTrader_Ben

Hello,

The only way we can limit which brokers you can trade with is by limiting the broker technologies you can connect to. This limitation is implied in the statement "single broker", otherwise there is not way for us to limit this.

You still have "functionality" in the platform. You not have the same "connectivity".

In addition to this, we allow you to connect to any non-broker data feed that you want in addition to your broker feed.

Hope that helps. The deal we give customers is by far the best in the industry given the functionality of the platform. However if you are unsatisfied and feel we misslead you please contract us via help>mail to support and we will be happy to help you in whatever way we can.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
tomgilb

Default multi-broker license?

So then, the free version has the same "functionality and "connectivity" as the multi-broker license?

If I want to trade live with both Amp Futures and TDAmeritrade, but not necessarily concurrently, would I need a multi-broker license?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
NinjaTrader_Ben

Hello,

Free vs. Live NT is driven by the license key only. The license key determine which connectivity providers you can use.

1 - yes.

2- if not concurrently, then you can trade them one at a time provided that you send us a note and have us change your license key to a different broker technology. So there will be some 'response time' between your license regeneration request and when you get your regenerated license. We can usually get it done in 15 or 20 minutes if your request it during normal working hours.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
tomgilb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTrader_Ben View Post
Hello,

Free vs. Live NT is driven by the license key only. The license key determine which connectivity providers you can use.

1 - yes.

2- if not concurrently, then you can trade them one at a time provided that you send us a note and have us change your license key to a different broker technology. So there will be some 'response time' between your license regeneration request and when you get your regenerated license. We can usually get it done in 15 or 20 minutes if your request it during normal working hours.
Ben, I want to trade futures during market hours and stocks at EOD. You would be giving me a new license key twice a day. Do I need a multi-broker license to do what I want?
Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
NinjaTrader_Kyle

Hi tomgilb,

Thank you for your reply.

If you intend on using Interactive Brokers and TD Ameritrade, a multi-broker license would be required.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
tomgilb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
Hi tomgilb,

If you intend on using Interactive Brokers and TD Ameritrade, a multi-broker license would be required.
I'm using Amp Futures and TDAmeritrade. Would the same apply?
Old 12-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
NinjaTrader_Kyle

Hi tomgilb,

Sorry about the confusion, it looks like I checked the incorrect post for your providers.

Yes, the same would apply for these two as well.