Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split adjustments problems

Hi,
    I am a new user of NJ and think I like it.
    I only have a few questions about the split adjustments using the Yahoo datafeed.
    1) do I have to manually update each stock to have the correct split adjustments, or is there a way to do it automatically. It seems a bit to much work if I have to update every stock manually every time. Is there a script available that can do this?
    2) when I enable the split and the dividend adjustment in the options, I get negative prices. How is that possible? see pic 1.
    3) the split and dividend update doesn't seem to load all the splits. Pic2 is the chart with split enabled in options. In the instrument manager I see that only 5 spilts are loaded. Is it a bug in NT that all the splits are not loaded when you update them? I'm quite sure it's not a Yahoo problem because when I load the Yahoo data via MLDownloader and Import them in NT (Split disabled in options) all seems fine. See pic 3.
    Hope someone can help me with this.
    Thanks
    Mark
    Attached Files

Hi Mark, welcome to the NinjaTrader support forums!

1. Unfortunately you would have to do it for each needed symbol.

2. I can confirm this on my charts with Yahoo as well and this is expected - if you substract the dividends from the prices they might become negative at one point in history.

3. It will use the split and dividend data as provided by Yahoo - have you tried to open a new chart after the splits were updated. You could also try to right click in the chart and to 'Reload your historical data'.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Bertrand; 03-13-2009, 12:56 PM.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, Bertrand...
      1. will that be different in NT7 ?
      2. Ok, I understand.
      3. I indeed closed and reopend the chart, refreshed the date, but always the same result. I seems that NT is not accepting splits before a certain date (May 18, 1964) in this case.
      Thanks again,
      Marc

Comment

You are welcome Mark! We will announce NinjaTrader 7 features when they become available, will check on the split date you mentioned with development - have a good weekend!

Comment

@Bertrand:

I wonder why the (quite complex) manual procedure for split/dividend adjustment is necessary?

If NT sees that (a) Yahoo is the data source being used, and (b) the option is set in Tools/Options/Misc to adjust for split/dividends, then why can it not automatically do the required adjustments itself, whenever we choose a certain instrument (for example when charting it).

So, why do we still have to manually go into Instrument Manager/Edit/Misc/Update splits and dividends? Why does the user have to intervene? I am trying to understand the reason for this.

Regards,
          Vo.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion Vowani - I think it could be due to the splits data call needs to be made separately to Yahoo, but I'll definitely forward your idea so development can take a look.

Comment

Hi Bertrand, thanks for the follow-up.

I think that indeed NT could have enough "built-in intelligence" added to "know" when it needs to do some extra work to update the "splits and dividends" by itself.

After all:
              - when the user has indicated, via NT's options, she wants to adjust the splits and/or dividends...
              - and the data source is Yahoo...
              - then NT can assume it will need to do extra work on the incoming data to present the correct values to the user...
              - without the user having to do any further manual interventions.

(After all, the Yahoo Charts website also knows it needs to do work on splits and dividends based on its own historical data feed, so if they can do automatic adjustments in their charts, then also NT must be able to do the same).

Thanks for considering this!

Vo
              Last edited by Vowani; 05-25-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post quantismo  
              Started by love2code2trade, 04-17-2024, 01:45 PM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post love2code2trade