Error when using import/export to move data across PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error when using import/export to move data across PCs

I'm attempting to move NT7 data (Gain) from one PC to another. So, I'm using the export/import utility on the respective PC's. The problem is that when I go to import the data on the 2nd PC I get an error message: "Time stamp line xxxxx is smaller than timestamp of the previous line". I've been using Notepad++ to delete the offending lines that are out of order. But, there's far too many to delete manually and the error persists across multiple currency pairs.

My question is what is happening during the export/import process? The data plots correctly on PC1 but when I attempt to import it into PC2 it's out of order. What's going on? FWIW, both PC's are running the latest version of NT7 and both are running on 64-bit Win 7.

Hi bluelou,

Data exported from NinjaTrader should generally be in the correct format for import into NinjaTrader. Can you please share an unedited export file and we can give it a run here?
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanM View Post
      Hi bluelou,

Data exported from NinjaTrader should generally be in the correct format for import into NinjaTrader. Can you please share an unedited export file and we can give it a run here?
      Ryan,
      I've uploaded 100,000 lines of EURUSD tick data. The original file was > 100 MB so I figured a smaller file would be easier for you to start with. The first time stamp error in this smaller file occurs at line 3881. The same error, where the time stamps are out of order occurs thousands of times across my data set whenever I export NT data from PC1 and attempt to import it into NT on PC2. Also, note that the problem is not unique to the PCs. I also tried to import/export using 2 different PCs and had the same error.

~Lou
      Attached Files

Comment

Ryan, I think the problem is only with tick data. I was able to transfer 1 minute bars successfully. But, that's not much help since I need the tick data.

Comment

Yes, I see that line is out of order. Can you send NTs data file for the day and I will export it here.

My Documents\NinjaTrader 7\db\tick\$EURUSD\2010102600.last.ntd

The file name will start with that date, but might not have the double 0 at the end.

Comment

Ryan, I've attached 5 files with similar names.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you. It works OK here - exports in order and I'm able to import it successfully.

Next, let's try to align our export and import settings.
              What time zone is the exported PC clock set to?
              What are your settings for import?
              • Format
              • Data Type
              • Time Zone of imported data
              • Any "Generate" options checked

Comment

Thank you. It works OK here - exports in order and I'm able to import it successfully.

Next, let's try to align our export and import settings.
                What time zone is the exported PC clock set to?
                What are your settings for import?
                • Format
                • Data Type
                • Time Zone of imported data
                • Any "Generate" options checked
                Ryan, both PCs are set for Eastern Standard Time as is the Time zone of imported data. The Format for both import and export is Ninja Trader (Timestamps in import file represent end of bar time). The Data type is Last for both PCs.

Also, isn't this a problem on the export side? We can see that the data is out of order from the .csv export file.

What's the next step?

Comment

Sorry, there are no settings for Export. I was looking at the Import tab on the Export PC. On the Export PC, the data being exported is Tick, Last.

Also, yes, I had Generate Minute and Generate Day bars selected. I also tried importing w/o having these selected but still had the same errors.

Comment

Still working fine here for export / import. I can use your entire My Documents\NinjaTrader 7 folder to attempt to reproduce here. Please zip up, and send to my attention at [email protected]

The file will likely be bigger than our inbox can handle, so you can use a service like www.filexpressit.com to send.

Comment

Still working fine here for export / import. I can use your entire My Documents\NinjaTrader 7 folder to attempt to reproduce here. Please zip up, and send to my attention at [email protected]

The file will likely be bigger than our inbox can handle, so you can use a service like www.filexpressit.com to send.

Ryan, do you want the folder for the export PC or the import PC? Also, I don't want to send out any proprietary code. Can I send the NinjaTrader 7 folder without the NinjaTrader 7/bin subdirectory?

How are you able to import the data if some of the timestamps are out of order in the exported .csv file? Is NT7 able to sort or ignore the fact that some timestamps are out of order when importing a .csv file?

Comment

I'm interested in the export PC. The export process works fine here using the 5 files you posted for 10/ 26/ 10. The import works as well because everything is printed in order.

I shouldn't need your \bin. Hopefully will be able to identify issues without it.

Comment

Just to make clear then - you want the NinjaTrader 7 directory from the export PC, "PC1", right?

Comment

Correct - Since the time stamps are out of sequence, we want to look at what's going on with your export PC.

Comment

The database is 7 GB. Is there a website that can handle a 7 GB email/upload? This will take several hours to combine the NT7 file into one folder and even longer to upload so it can be sent to you. Provided that a file of this size can be uploaded I guess you'll have it sometime tomorrow AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Christopher_R  
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              166 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post sidlercom80