Looking for Swing Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pi,
    Those dots are what the standard Swing indicator plots with the default strength setting.
    I put it on there so one could see the difference between plots.
    Could you possible help me with this?
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BryanGriggs View Post
      Pi,
      Those dots are what the standard Swing indicator plots with the default strength setting.
      I put it on there so one could see the difference between plots.
      Could you possible help me with this?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the clarification. I plan to build my own Swing indicator in 2015, but not sure when. That will much depend on my work load.

Thanks.
      Pi
      ninZa
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - ninZa.co

Comment

koganam,

After seeing the file, What are your thoughts on how I can get it to plot the highest & lowest points above and below instead of the plotting as it is now?
        Thanks
        I am not quite sure that I understand. Maybe another drawing, marked to show what you mean?

Comment

Hello Bryan,

I've worked up a simple indicator that will get you started in the right direction, and included comments in the code to show you what I'm doing at different points. To prevent the indicator from plotting pivot points on a whipsaw fakeout, I've included logic that tests whether the current close price is at least 1 ATR above or below the moving average. You could increase this to 2 ATR or higher for even stricter protection against fakeouts. At the same time, if the price moves back after a fakeout, then dives in again for another crossover, it will plot a new pivot point.

MAPivots.cs

Essentially, this indicator shows you the points at which the price makes a major reversal to head back towards the moving average for a crossover, which I believe is what you are looking for.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to lend a hand!
          Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Davel,

Thank You so Much! Finally someone who has a clue & can get me going on the right track.
            There was/is way more to this beyond what's in this tread but, I was just stuck at that point. With over 200 views & everyone was as clueless as I. Hmmm! I'll review in detail & get back to you after the holidays.
            Happy Holidays Days to You & the whole Ninja Staff! You ALL deserve it!
            Ya'll are the BEST!
            Thanks again

Comment

Davel,
              Hope you had a Great Holiday! I reviewed the file and have attempted to tweak the settings a bit but still running into a few issues. The images shown are as coded with the exception of the ma in the second image.
              As you can see in the attached images, it nailed the Daily on the same image from a previous post. When applied to the Volume chart, the blue highlights where it failed to catch the top or bottom. The Green highlights a HH w/o a HL. Two questions;

1) Why do think it's failing to nail the high & low sometimes?(Blue Highlight)

2) How would we say in the code that, If we don't have a HL, red dot(Plot), the count continues or the green dot(Plot) catches the next high (removing the previous high) & tracks up?
              (Green Highlight)
              Thanks,
              Attached Files

Comment

Davel,
                Hope you had a Great Holiday! I reviewed the file and have attempted to tweak the settings a bit but still running into a few issues. The images shown are as coded with the exception of the ma in the second image.
                As you can see in the attached images, it nailed the Daily on the same image from a previous post. When applied to the Volume chart, the blue highlights where it failed to catch the top or bottom. The Green highlights a HH w/o a HL. Two questions;

2) How would we say in the code that, If we don't have a HL, red dot(Plot), the count continues or the green dot(Plot) catches the next high (removing the previous high) & tracks up?
                (Green Highlight)
                Thanks,
                I must have misunderstood something. I see crosses that were not marked at all. Is there some further filter being applied?
                Attached Files

Comment

Koganam -- This was intentionally included in the code to prevent false signals from fakeouts. From a technical perspective, these points are crossovers, but from a trading perspective, they are not useful. When the price fails to stay on the other side of the MA for more than a few bars/points, then the turnaround is not really a useful trading signal. In this case, I test to see whether the price moves one ATR past the crossover point, and if it doesn't, it's not considered a valid signal.

Bryan - I am going to take a look in the code and see what may be causing that particular behavior. I will get back to you as soon as I find something.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_DaveI View Post
                    Koganam -- This was intentionally included in the code to prevent false signals from fakeouts. From a technical perspective, these points are crossovers, but from a trading perspective, they are not useful. When the price fails to stay on the other side of the MA for more than a few bars/points, then the turnaround is not really a useful trading signal. In this case, I test to see whether the price moves one ATR past the crossover point, and if it doesn't, it's not considered a valid signal.

Bryan - I am going to take a look in the code and see what may be causing that particular behavior. I will get back to you as soon as I find something.
                    OK. So they you have applied a filter that was not in the original Technical Specificaton. That is what I was asking.

I did not read the code; I simply did (visual) output validation against the published Spec.
                    Last edited by koganam; 12-30-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Davel,

(Green Highlight)
                      Thanks,
                      Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your patience. I've made a few revisions to the logic that determines when to draw new dots, and the indicator seems to be working exactly as it should now. I've applied it to several instruments and timeframes, and I have not seen any instances of a dot being drawn lower than the highest high since an upward crossover, or higher than the lowest low since a downward crossover.

I wanted to mention one thing, though -- as it currently stands, it will not draw a dot on the high of a whipsaw fakeout, but it will draw another dot when the price heads back after a fakeout, then turns back and pivots again. This should be useful, since both pivots (before and after the fakeout) are viable points of retracement.

Please see the new version attached to this post, and let me know if you run into any other issues.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank You

NinjaTrader_DaveI,

Thanks, This is Great!

Comment

Hi Dave,

Any way you can convert this into a strategy, from indicator? And have "enter long" and exit long, instead of the dots?

Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

I will not be able to create the strategy for you, as this would step on the toes of our custom development partners, but I can certainly point you in the right direction. You can begin by copying and pasting the code from the indicator into a new strategy. Make sure to change the name of the strategy within the code, and to change all instances of "Indicator" to "Strategy" within the code.

When you copy and paste, be sure not to copy anything in the "NinjaScript Generated Code" region, as the NinjaScript Editor will create new code for you in this section when you compile the strategy.

For more information on the methods you can use to enter and exit a long position, please see the link below, and please let me know if you have any questions about them:

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...er_methods.htm

Comment

I understand. Thanks Dave!

Comment

Hi Dave,
                                is there a way to modify this indicator to paint lines that will connect the dots (in addition to or instead of the dots themselves).
                                I attached a pic just in case

Thanks in advance!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by f.saeidi, Today, 05:56 AM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Jltarrau  
                                Started by Jltarrau, Today, 05:57 AM