Volume, range, tick bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume, range, tick bar

Please add pull down menu items for setting volume, range, and tick bars to the charts to version 7 like version 6.5 had.

I know you can type something over the chart to get it, but when I tried to make a volume chart I didn't type the right thing and it didn't work. I also couldn't escape the loading data sequence which is another issue.

I searched help for volume and didn't find the instructions, also searched on the words keyboard, and shortcut and didn't find the instructions, and I scanned through the Operations / Charts sub menu in the help and didn't see it. Bottom line is unless someone gets training or happens to read about it, they won't know how to change the time frame to volume charts etc. The only place they might see it would be to go through the data series window and click on the type pull down there.

You could have a link to "instructions" in the pull down menu for timeframes on the chart to bring up a window with the keyboard instructions.

One or both would be helpful.

Thanks.

Hello Jamesaq,

Thank you for your suggestions here. The pulldown menu, as you notice, has been moved to the Data Series screen.

I have excerpted below the section of the help guide you're looking for. You can find this at the following link:

Section: How to change a data series.

Changing and Adding Instruments and Intervals via Keyboard
    You can change instruments or intervals by pressing a letter or number key in a selected chart. Within the window that appears, you can change the instrument, interval, or chart type by using the following formats and pressing the "Enter" key when finished. If multiple instruments are displayed in the chart, you can change a specific instrument by left mouse clicking to select it before typing. If no instrument is selected, the primary instrument is changed.

To change an instrument:
    Type the instrument symbol. (Add the front month for futures instruments) Examples: "ES 12-09" for E-mini S&P 500, "AAPL" for Apple stock or "EURUSD" for Euro/U.S. dollar Forex pair.
    To change bar series:
    Type interval value plus the interval suffix (Value +suffix). Examples: "5M" for 5 minute bars, "100T" for 100 tick bars, etc.

M - Minute
    T - Tick
    V - Volume
    R - Range
    S - Second
    D - Day
    W - Week
    MO - Month
    Y - Year
    RE - Renko
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

OK, but the answer here doesn't do much to help people who aren't reading this forum and are looking at a chart for an intuitive way to change the periods. The shortcuts or the time periods need to be right on the chart window.

I personally don't like opening the data series window, it's an extra step, which is slower.

By that logic you should remove the instrument and periods pull down menus from the chart because they are only half way useful and everybody should use the data series window all the time. I would hate that.

Comment

Thank you for your comments and suggestions here, jamesaq. I will pass on to our development team.

Comment

Chart template selection from DataSeries setup

I personally find it very annoying that I cant select the template to load with the data in NT7. With NT6.5 I can select a specific template model at the same time as I setup the symbol/future/forex pair and bartype and interval.

Please ... can I have that functionality back?

Thanks
          Jon

Comment

Hello Trader Jon,

Let me know if I am misunderstanding your question but when you create a chart, you can select your desired template using the drop-down Chart Template menu at the lower left-hand portion of the Data Series window. (see screenshot).

Please let me know if this does not resolve the issue.
            Attached Files
            ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Is there a volume histogram indicator that is on the side (vertical) rather than bottom (horizontal), and aligns with price?

Comment

Hello clint121212,

Thank you for your post.

For these types of custom indicators we would encourage you to check out the NinjaScript File Sharing section of the forum. Please check out the following:

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
                ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

... ahh .. in lower right of the screen shot .. correct?

Hi Chip,

Yes, that would be very nice to have in NT7

.. OR ..

am I the only person that doesnt have this on their DataSeries since it was released for public beta?

I have done multiple clean installs of NT7b20 in clean installs of Win7 32&64, both VirtualMachines and on hardware ... none of them have that chart template dropdown.
                  I donot recall seeing it on any beta version I have installed: I might be wrong on the previous betas, but definitely not there now!

******* annoying to NOT have it!

I just doublechecked, and on different machines it is not there, and I adjusted the machines from 'best appearance' to 'best performance' and back again thinking it might be to do with Win7 internals, but, still same. Screen attached. Definitely is in the F1 Help after I read your post .. should have looked sooner I guess LOL

TJ
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Trader.Jon; 09-12-2010, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Hello Trader.Jon,

When creating a new chart through File > New > Chart you will see the template selection.

If you later Right Click > Data Series this template selection will not appear.

If you want to apply a template to an existing chart, this is through the Right Click > Tempalates screen.

Let us know if this doesn't clear it up.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                    Started by quantismo, Yesterday, 05:13 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes