Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

regarding ninja trader...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

regarding ninja trader...

Hi if I set a strategy to run, will it pick up where was left at the previous session and starts automatically? For example, a profit target was not met in the previous trading session but is met when the market reopens in the morning. Will the trade be executed automatically? Do I have to turn on ninjatrader every morning? Or can I just leave it there all day and by the new trading session starts, it will automatically start running the strategy?? thanks for reply in advance!!

Hello light7801,

There isn't persistance between strategy sessions in version 6.5. If you stop a strategy and resume, there is no way to know the difference between strategy position and account position.

Version 7 will offer persistance between strategy sessions.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html

If you keep your strategy running, then it will still submit orders even if it's a new market session from when you started.

While the above may indicate you should leave NinjaTrader running all day every day, this isn't a good practice due to memory leaks. Computers just don't run as effective if they are not restarted often. You'll have to find a balance between the demands of the strategy and good computing habits.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan, thanks for the reply. but i am still confused.

if i close ninjatrader, when i turn it on again, do i have to remount the strategy to a specific stock or i don't have to do anything as it is still there?

"The NinjaScript strategy is run on each historical bar for the 1st hour of the session (it will actually run on all historical data loaded in a chart) to determine the current position state it would be in if it had been running live since the start of the session. "

the above statement from the first link you gave me really confuses me. "run on all historical data loaded in a chart?" from what i know i don't need to open a chart in order to insert a strategy. so how would that be then? secondly, "to determine the current position state it would be in if it had been running live since the start of the session. " how far does this thing go back? if my strategy involves a one year historical data, then it would virtually entry hundreds of trades but in fact the account position is still flat?

and finally, is there an estimated date for the release of 7 version? thanks.

Comment

Hello Light871,

You should take a look at this article on strategy position versus account position.

If you shutdown NinjaTrader then any strategies you had on charts will be removed the next time you start.

A chart is the visual representation of data, but the data is still accessible when you run a strategy from the control center.

We do not yet have a release date for NinjaTrader 7, but hopefully soon. Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Hi Ryan, thanks for replying me. i read the article you provided. so if my strategy allows 2 entries per direction. if 2 entries got filled on the first day and when i re-attach the strategy next day, ninjatrader wont recognize the 2 already filled entries and still thinks the position is flat?

Comment

If you have two entries and entries per direction is set to two, then further entry orders will not be placed. Subsequent orders to enter will be ignored until one of the entries is closed.

Shutting down and restarting your strategy is another consideration. It depends on many factors. If your new strategy parameters match what you had when you shutdown and there has been no market activity, then the last strategy position should match the account position.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
            7 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
            Started by NRITV, Today, 01:15 PM
            1 response
            0 likes