Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloud Storage

Any thoughts about cloud storage?

I have NT installed on a desktop, laptop and tablet. It would be nice to be able to access our charts from any one of the computers we have NT installed on at anytime.

Thanks.

Hello Segwin,

Thanks for your inquiry.

NinjaTrader will download market data to create the charts from the account that you connect to. It would be a limitation of the account that you connect with that will allow you to view live chart data at once from multiple locations.

Additionally, there would be a limitation of having a license for each device you have NinjaTrader installed on.

With those caveats in mind, viewing chart data from multiple sources would be possible.

Keep in mind that if multiple instances of NinjaTrader are configured to access the same data, the same errors involving File Access Violations that we see when OneDrive is enabled on the NinjaTrader documents folder will occur. The limitation would still be on the provider end.

If you have any additional questions or have additional detail for your inquiry, please don't hesitate to write back.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
      Hello miguelposada,

The issue lies that if you store your data to a common networked location, each data file can only be accessed by one application at a time. If two applications, (say NinjaTrader and OneDrive, for example, or 2 instances of NinjaTrader) try to access the same file at once, you will receive a notification about checked this phenq review out yet a file access violation from your operating system.

You could map the NinjaTrader documents folder to a networked location and configure that for both platforms, but you would only be able to access that data with one running application at a time. (One instance of NinjaTrader must be shut off when using the application from another machine.)

To set this up:
      • Ensure NinjaTrader 8 has been installed and is operational from the standard C:\Users\<User name>\Documents\NinjaTrader 8 location
      • Once verified, manually copy the existing user data directory in Documents\NinjaTrader 8 folder to a desired location
      • (i.e., from C:\Users\<Use name>\Documents\NinjaTrader 8 to D:\MyNT8)

After the folder and its contents have been copied over, you can then add the command line switch to a shortcut's target:
      • Right click on an existing application shortcut, such as from your desktop or the start menu-> select "Properties"-> select "Shortcut" tab.
      • Update the "Target" field with the /d switch and include your desired location:
      • (i.e., "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin\NinjaTrader.exe" /d "D:\MyNT8")

The above directions are only applicable for NinjaTrader 8.

Is it possible to access the data with devices on different versions of Windows? My laptop has Windows 10 and my PC has Windows 7. Can you please clarify?
      Last edited by miguelposada; 07-06-2018, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Hello Segwin,

Thanks for your inquiry.

NinjaTrader will download market data to create the charts from the account that you connect to. It would be a limitation of the account that you connect with that will allow you to view live chart data at once from multiple locations.

Additionally, there would be a limitation of having a license for each device you have NinjaTrader installed on.

With those caveats in mind, viewing chart data from multiple sources would be possible.

Keep in mind that if multiple instances of NinjaTrader are configured to access the same data, the same errors involving File Access Violations that we see when OneDrive is enabled on the NinjaTrader documents folder will occur. The limitation would still be on the provider end.

If you have any additional questions or have additional detail for your inquiry, please don't hesitate to write back.
        Thanks for the reply. I sure don't want another nightmare like I had with one drive.

Just a thought on how to make having two computers see the same thing.

Comment

Have you tried using Dropbox?

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
            Have you tried using Dropbox?
            No but I don't think it is that simple. I can backup to a thumb drive and do a restore on another computer but even that is buggy.

Just thinking out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Segwin View Post
              No but I don't think it is that simple. I can backup to a thumb drive and do a restore on another computer but even that is buggy.

Just thinking out loud.
              Why not keep NT running on one PC and access it remotely using a remote access program such as Splashtop, Logmein, or Remote Desktop. That is the way some co-located servers work so you can use NT with your machine near the exchange. That way only one machine is using NT and can be accessed from any device that can remote in. i.e. tablet, phone, pc

Comment

Originally posted by miguelposada View Post
                Is it possible to access the data with devices on different versions of Windows? My laptop has Windows 10 and my PC has Windows 7. Can you please clarify?
                Hello miguelposada,

The issue lies that if you store your data to a common networked location, each data file can only be accessed by one application at a time. If two applications, (say NinjaTrader and OneDrive, for example, or 2 instances of NinjaTrader) try to access the same file at once, you will receive a file access violation from your operating system.

You could map the NinjaTrader documents folder to a networked location and configure that for both platforms, but you would only be able to access that data with one running application at a time. (One instance of NinjaTrader must be shut off when using the application from another machine.)

To set this up:
                • Ensure NinjaTrader 8 has been installed and is operational from the standard C:\Users\<User name>\Documents\NinjaTrader 8 location
                • Once verified, manually copy the existing user data directory in Documents\NinjaTrader 8 folder to a desired location

After the folder and its contents have been copied over, you can then add the command line switch to a shortcut's target:
                • Right click on an existing application shortcut, such as from your desktop or the start menu-> select "Properties"-> select "Shortcut" tab.
                • Update the "Target" field with the /d switch and include your desired location:
                • (i.e., "C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 8\bin\NinjaTrader.exe" /d "D:\MyNT8")

Comment

After the folder and its contents have been copied over, you can then add Dbal max is never mentioned the command line switch to a shortcut's target:

Thank you so much for step-by-step clear instructions. Was facing the same problem (different computers) and came here looking for a solution. Joined to say thanks.
                  Last edited by MaxGracia; 03-07-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Segwin View Post
                    Any thoughts about cloud storage?

I have NT installed on a desktop, laptop and tablet. It would be nice to be able to access our charts from any one of the computers we have NT installed on at anytime.

Thanks.
                    hello my friend i am facing some issues while installing on my windows can you help me out?

Comment

Welcome to the forums Julian!

Could you elaborate on the issue you are having when installing NinjaTrader so we can assist further?

If you are received an error, please attach a screenshot of the error.

To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer, we recommend using Window's Snipping Tool.

Click here for instructions

Alternatively, please take a screenshot with Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.

Click here for detailed instruction

I look forward to being of further assistance.

Comment

Hi,
                        Every once in a while I lose NT settings and I have to uninstall / reinstall. I think it is due to onedrive synchronization. I tried to move the NinjaTrader8 folder to another place (always on the local disk) and edit the shortcut but NT never started. Is there any other way to use NT with the NinjaTrader8 in a different location? Thanks

Comment

Welcome to the forums dipid2!

We do not recommend using OneDrive with NinjaTrader as the two programs will try to access the same folders at the same time. Further issues can be seen as well since OneDrive will be writing to the NinjaTrader Documents folder.

I have included a link outlining how to remap your Documents folder below.I would also recommend going through OneDrive to make sure OneDrive isn't set to continue to backup the Documents folder. Please see the following link that outlines how to make changes in OneDrive:The links above are publicly available.

If you are still unable to start the platform after taking these steps, please run a Repair operation from a NinjaTrader installer. Download link below.

Download - https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Comment

Hello miguelposada,

The issue lies that if you store your data to a common networked location, each data file can only be accessed by one application at a time. If two applications, (say NinjaTrader and OneDrive, for example this phenq review, or 2 instances of NinjaTrader) try to access the same file at once, you will receive a file access violation from your operating system.

To set this up:

NinjaTrader Jim, you have no idea what me and my staff has been going through because we were trying to access Ninja Trader on 3 of our systems at the same time and it was never accessible, it always showed issues. But today I was searching and finally (no fortunately) I read this post of yours and now I know that all of us were just being stupid by not shutting off Ninja Trader in one system and then accessing it in another system. Anyways, thank you so much.
                            Last edited by nerdjack; 11-28-2019, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                            Started by quantismo, Yesterday, 05:13 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby