Trend Channel Tool Dumbed-down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trend Channel Tool Dumbed-down

I use very heavily the Andrew's pitchfork tool and the Trend Channel Tool. The pitchfork tool in NT8 is fine, but the trend channel tool does not seem completed as yet. The trend channel tool in NT7 has a 3rd parallel line or 50% line which is exactly in the middle of the lower parallel and the upper parallel. This vital feature is in NT7 but not NT8. Do you plan to implement that feature in the NT8 trend channel tool soon? While the NT7 calls the tool a trend channel tool, it is more than a simple channel tool, it becomes what we geometry traders call an Action-Reaction tool. I cannot migrate to NT8 without that complete tool (like in NT7).

Hello,

Thanks for your note.

This is an item that has been mentioned in the past and is currently under investigation with our team here. However, we appreciate you posting and bringing this item to our attention.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I second that request by paulm. Its like you forgot to implement the "extension" lines when creating the trend channel tool in NT8. Such a basic tool for traders using market geometry when trading. NT8 will not be a competitive alternative for chartists before you implement that, imo.

Paulm, there is an alternative for this tho, while we wait for them to implement this, which I am sure they will.

Simply use the modifies schiff. In the PF you can put in as many extension lines as you want. just Draw the modified schiff from the same pivots as you would With the channel tool. same result, just a bit more work.

Comment

Parallel Lines for Trend Channel Tool

I notice that Ninja NT8 release 2 has added a parallel line add on capability to the trend channel drawing tool, however, I can not get it to work. I was able to work the tool just fine in NT7, so I thought I knew how to use it. However, with the current NT8 version, you cannot make the lines visible, even though I see the option to do that. I add lines, but do not see them.. Am I doing something wrong, or is the tool not complete yet? Thanks

Comment

Hello rfjoeyb,

Thanks for posting.

So far I have not been able to replicate this, but I may be taking different steps than you. What steps are you taking to draw the Trend Channel parallel lines?

Comment

Issue with Trend Channel Tool

I am drawing the trend channel on the chart using the drawing tool that is part of the chart set. The default is two lines. I then go to the trend channel properties and add lines and press apply. The lines are added to the properties, but do not show up on the chart. The original two lines remain as is, just no new / added lines.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

When you mention that you are adding lines to the Trend Channel, are you referring to adding additional price levels using the "Levels" feature?

What Level (%) are you setting the additional price levels to?

Comment

Trend Channel Tool - Parallel Line Issue

I go to Trend Channel Properties. Then to levels, which is labeled 'Price Levels'. I have been adding lines at 50%, 75%, 150% and 200%. These lines are not visible on the chart, other than the original trend channel. I've tried changing colors and line thickness / type for these added price lines, not still not visible.

Comment

rfjoeyb, thank you for your post!

I tested this on my end, however, I wasn't able to reproduce this.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you running? You may check this by navigating to the Control Center > Help > About. An example would be 8.0.2.0.
                  Riley S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am using 8.0.2.0. I'm having the same issue if I'm using live data chart, or replay chart: Cannot add a visible parallel line to the trend channel tool. I've also rebooted the computer, which did not resolve issue. I've also loaded a new chart with nothing but the current ES on it, then added the trend channel. No fix either. Are you seeing parallel lines when you are doing it?

Comment

rfjoeyb, thanks for posting back.

Please see my video link below for further clarification on how to more levels for the trend channel drawing tool.

Let me know if the steps above don't work -- if you could provide a screenshot of the levels window, that would be very helpful.

Comment

I've attached a shot of what I see in the Trend Channel Properties window. Note that my Levels window is different from yours: I see no option for parallel lines specifically. I've been assuming that parallel lines is the default. I see no other options. But, as I've said, I don't see the added lines on the chart, even though they appear to have been added to the properties table.
                        Attached Files

Comment

rfjoeyb, thank you for clarifying!

That's odd behavior. If you troubleshoot by closing your workspace, launching a new workspace, and opening a new chart, do you see the same?

You can do this by navigating to the Control Center > Workspaces, and hover your mouse over the open workspaces and select close. Once you have closed all of your open workspaces, a new one will open automatically named, untitledX.

Next, please test a new chart. Do you experience the same?

Comment

I closed all the workspaces I had open, and then opened a new workspace. In this new workspace I added 1 chart. Then proceeded to add the trend channel to the chart. Then went to trend channel properties and added another parallel line. Still nothing visible. Any comment to why my Levels Properties window looks different than yours? Yours has an option for parallel lines, and mine does not.

Comment

rfjoeyb, thank you for posting back!

To troubleshoot, please take the steps below of removing the Trend Channel file and then repairing the NinjaTrader installation.
                              1. First, shutdown NinjaTrader 8
                              2. Navigate to Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > bin > Custom > Drawing Tools
                              3. Next, find the @TrendChannel.cs file and delete it
                              4. Finally, repair the NinjaTrader installation by navigating to the Window's Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Right click on NinjaTrader and select Repair.
                              5. After the repair, launch NinjaTrader 8 and troubleshoot to see if you experience the same.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by cre8able, 02-11-2023, 05:43 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rhubear
                              by rhubear

Started by frslvr, 04-11-2024, 07:26 AM
                              8 responses