Long & short combined in 1 strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long & short combined in 1 strategy

If I want to run both a long and short strategy would it be better to combine in 1 automated strategy or 2 separate strategies run at the same time?
    Not talking about a always in, stop and reverse strategy.

You can not be long and short the same time in the same strategy position. You would need to run separate strategies.

Comment

What I mean is having both a short and long strategy coded in 1 strategy. the long parameters would have you exited before the short parameters entered a short position and vice versa. I have ran a strategy like this in backtesting but dont know what the drawbacks would be running it live.

Which is better- 1 strategy with long and short parameters or 2 seperate strategies?

Comment

Yes, you can do what you want in 1 strategy no problem. NT even will close the opposite position for you as you enter the opposite side. (see SampleMACrossOver strategy)

Comment

The strategies that I run live can be either long or short. If your strategies are related (i.e. you're checking the same indicator or same basic conditions), you'll definitely want them in the same strategy. Easier optimization, maintenance, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete S View Post
            The strategies that I run live can be either long or short. If your strategies are related (i.e. you're checking the same indicator or same basic conditions), you'll definitely want them in the same strategy. Easier optimization, maintenance, etc.
            Thats basically what I was trying to determine. Whether or not it would be more efficient to run a single strategy. Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by gemify, 11-11-2022, 11:52 AM
            6 responses
            2 likes
            Last Post ultls
            by ultls

Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 04:52 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes