Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

adding menu items to the chart context

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding menu items to the chart context

Hi,

I'm working with some code for an indicator that was developed in the NT6.5 release. It added a set of buttons to the Chart (supported by NT7) and a set of menu items added to the ContextMenu. It seems this is no longer available using the "this.ChartControl.ContextMenu.MenuItems.Add() " method.

When I try to augment the chart's context menu, I can only overwrite the entire context menu by creating a new context menu entirely. I'd like to simply augment the existing menu items with new functions as was supported in NT6.5. Can you please tell me how to add new menu items to the Chart context as this is important to the trading application we are developing.

Regards,

Paul

Paul, what you are trying to do is unsupported. Thank you for understanding.
    AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Austin View Post
      Paul, what you are trying to do is unsupported. Thank you for understanding.
      Austin, you presume I understand but you are wrong. I have been developing systems for 30 years and find your reasoning for preventing developer access to such basic functions perplexing.

I find it difficult to understand why your company would keep this secret or invalidate access and prevent programmers from fully utilising this excellent product.

Adding functionality to charts using Context Menus should be encouraged as this will expand the possibility of fully utilising Ninja Trader which I would have thought is in the best interests of both Ninja and your users.

Allowing programmers access to the context menus is hardly any kind of security risk however it is a significant limitation and a limitation that does not provide Ninja with any significant benefit. A basic cost/benefit analysis will show the up side of providing access far out weighs the down side some kind of some kind of perceived security risk.

Can you please enlighten me about your decisions here as I do not understand how preventing access under the cloak of "unsupported" can be in anyone's best interest including Ninja?

I would appreciate it if you could bring these comments to the management of Ninja so that I may present a case for reviewing this decision.

Regards,

Paul

Comment

Paul, I have sent a note along to mangement with a link to this thread.

Please note that there is strong precedent that this will remain unsupported:

NinjaTrader_Dierk:
        "- ChartControl and related methods never had been nor are they now supported NinjaScript. They are just not supported.
        - however, since we are aware that some customers nevertheless coded against unsupported features, we provided hints in the "Code breaking changes" section of our NT7 documents as a courteousy. We feel it's in the best interest of the vast majority of our users to have some guidance than just being left with uncompilable NinjaScript code. I understand you would prefer the opposite.

Here is the definition of "not supported":
        - we do not provide ANY form of support
        - if you wanted to use those features regardless, then it's at your own risk
        - unsupported features have no "expected" behavior as they are not documented nor would they have any typical use cases
        - the behavior you observe may or may not feed your needs
        - it may change at any time without prior notice
        - the feature itself even might go away without prior notice"
        AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by gm7_forum, Today, 05:51 PM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes