Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Allow Indicators and Strategies to be Organized into Subcategories/Subdirectories.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allow Indicators and Strategies to be Organized into Subcategories/Subdirectories.

This is something Easylanguage coders have been asking the Tradestation folks for for decades. I would sure like to see NT, while still relatively young, adopt this architecture.

As a minimum, it would be nice to organize indicators (and strategies) into something like "Production Indicators" and "Development Indicators". For example, when we import an indicator, it gets dumped into the same environment (basically the Production environment) with everything else. This is a little scary. Especially since it looks like everything in that environment is in the same scope (programming wise).

Personally I would prefer a "physical" organization around the Operating System's directory and subdirectory structure. Under the installed directory (not C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\Custom\Indicator - but that is another issue ) allow the creation of subdirectories under the Indicator directory. When the user chooses to edit an indicator, the Edit Indicator dialog would allow the user to navigate the subdirectories to select a .cs file. Likewise, when a user selects to add an indicator to a chart, the user can again navigate the subdirectories to select an indictor. The user could see things like Production/Trend Following, Production/Counter Trend, Production/BreakOut, Production/Holly Grail .

I haven't thought thru the issue of how to segregate the "virtual" space of the programming scope. Namespaces would seem to be a pretty good tool for that. Perhaps that could be phase 2.

thanks,
    shawnj

Thank you for your suggestion. We will put it on the list of future considerations for you.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

YES!!!!!!!!!

I've been meaning to request this for a while now. I've got 299 files in my NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\Custom\Indicator folder and it would be really helpful to be able to sort them into categories.

Comment

Great idea folks - directory and subdirectory structure should also be standart for workspaces !
        max-td

Comment

Originally posted by Elliott Wave View Post
          YES!!!!!!!!!

I've been meaning to request this for a while now. I've got 299 files in my NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\Custom\Indicator folder and it would be really helpful to be able to sort them into categories.
          DEFINITELY.

This is one of the banes of TradeStation, and now NinjaTrader where the only way to pseudo-categorize anything is by prefixing something to the name.

Although, with structured programming, it should be possible to create a class called, say "oscillators" and then be able to call methods within it, such as oscillators.ADX() or oscillators.ChaikinMoneyFlow() or whatever. The problem with this approach is that you end up pulling in a huge library of stuff you don't need whenever you load the class just to use one indicator.

-Alex

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post alifarahani  
          Started by junkone, Today, 11:37 AM
          3 responses
          0 likes