Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Srategy terminated "price below stop price" How can I fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Srategy terminated "price below stop price" How can I fix?

I missed a good trade at 2:00 am because the order attempted to execute and the current price was below the stop price (I was going short) and the strategy terminated itself? Should I have used a stop limit order or is there a better solution? (The strategy uses a stop order as a trigger to go short 1 tick below the low of the prior bar)

Originally posted by ninjablanks View Post
    (The strategy uses a stop order as a trigger to go short 1 tick below the low of the prior bar)
    If you are trying to go short, and you place a sell stop above the current market price, it will bomb (as it did).

Limit orders will get your *improved* prices. Stop orders get you *worse* prices but will get you in the trade in a fast moving market or if you are waiting for a certain condition like the close of a range bar where you know exactly where price will be. You can also use a stoplimit order, so that if a (higher) price is triggered, your limit (improved) order will be placed.

I like buy and sell stops but you also need to be incredibly careful when using them in ninja strategies. If you backtest something that looks awesome, it is probably because it didn't use market orders and Ninja isn't handling the fills correctly. I have spent a lot of time on this.

Anyway, if you want a quick fix, just test the GetCurrentBid() first before placing your order to make sure your sell stop is ABOVE the bid, or you can just do GetCurrentBid() + TickSize in your order itself.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the input here Mike - I'm not sure I follow on your fill statement - did you look into the different fill algorithms offered (Historical Fill Processing in the link below)? http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...AStrategy.html
      BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by fiddich, Today, 05:25 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post fiddich
      by fiddich

Started by gemify, 11-11-2022, 11:52 AM
      6 responses