Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Weighted indicator collection - need suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weighted indicator collection - need suggestions

We already have WMA, the weighted moving average.

I am working on a collection of other indicators that use the ramp-weighting of WMA, such that the oldest bar in the lookback interval gets the least weight, and the newest bar gets the most. I intend to post this collection in the file-sharing area, but I need suggestions on what to include.

Exponential weighting (like EMA), I've noticed, takes too long to settle sometimes, particularly when adapting it to statistical measures like standard deviation.

Simple or constant weighting (like SMA) is terrible. It generates false signals. A constant weight indicator will signal when a large value enters the lookback interval, and then it signals again when that value leaves. This is especially true for statistical indicators.

So far, I have written and tested the following 'weighted' counterparts to the traditional constant-weight indicators:
    • WATR - weighted average true range
    • WBollinger - weighted Bollinger bands
    • WKeltnerChannel - weighted Keltner channel
    • WLinReg - weighted linear regression
    • WLinRegSlope - weighted linear regression slope
    • WStdDev - weighted standard deviation
    • WStdError - weighted standard error indicator
    I like the way these indicators perform. Particularly, WStdDev seems superior to the traditional StdDev in that outliers don't pollute the entire lookback interval, and it's superior to the exponentially-weighted version because response to outliers settles faster.

The above are, for the most part, non-trivial. The trivial ones are where you simply replace any occurrence of EMA or SMA in the code with WMA (WATR ad WKeltnerChannel are the only 'trivial' ones above). CCI would be trivial. But are there any other non-trivial ones I can implement?

-Alex
    Last edited by anachronist; 10-13-2008, 02:33 PM.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by martin70, 03-24-2023, 04:58 AM
15 responses
0 likes
Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
Started by The_Sec, Today, 02:29 PM
1 response
0 likes
Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM