Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Feature Request: Provide a parameter to control the order of Parameters in Indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request: Provide a parameter to control the order of Parameters in Indicators

Hi, In v7.0 or future release.
    It would be nice to have an option to control the order of the Parameters in Indicators & Strategies, other than alphabetical.

1. Perhaps a numeric value we could set. If two parameters have the same value then resort to alphabetical. Thus if you don't set it you could default it to 0 & have backward compatability with existing indicators & strategies.

2. Maybe offer the user 2 "Sort by" buttons at the top of the properties dialog. One lets you select params alphabetically & the other lets you see them grouped & in custom order.
    Yes this would work like the Properties window in Visual Studio.

Why?
    Because it is really difficult to think of property names that (a) display in the order you want users to think about setting their value & (b) have them meaningful & readable. (c) Short.
    Hope this helps
    Dave

You can do this even in NT 6.5, there is a tip on it:

http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=4770

Comment

Thanks for your prompt response.
      I'm hoping for something a little more direct than artificially manipulating the Alphabetic order with Tabs. These get annoying when you have 10 or more params & you want to move a parm from near the bottom to the top & have to edit all those in between.

Though I agree that for now it is a adequate workaround.

Comment

Thanks for this suggestion, I will add to our feedback list.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

mouse over parameters blocks text

Guys, in 7.0.0.12, when using "\t" to order a list of parameters in a custom category, moving my mouse over an item in the list highlights the item with a light-yellow background and places a tab in the highlighted field for each of the "\t" commands. Consequently, using many \t's pushes the moused-over text far to the right of the screen, well beyond the Indicators window. Non-\t entries are not similarly highlighted by a mouse-over (except for the first one after the last \t-ed entry).

Is there a way to keep the \t ordering and not see the highlighting problem? If not, could you please remove this visual anomaly by either removing the appearance of the tabs in the mouse-over highlight or by removing the highlight altogether in parameter lists?

Thanks for your help.

Light

Comment

Light,

I am not seeing the same thing on my end. When I mouse over a /t item it just brings up a balloon tooltip containing the text with the tabs.
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Josh. That's it -- now put in a few more \t's and the balloon's text will be off the indicator window to the right. (Ten \t's should be enough.) In the balloon, each \t is replaced by a tab, and that moves the balloon text the right while simultaneously covering up the original parameter text. I've attached an example here.

Thanks again for your help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Light,

That is expected behavior. When you use \t it pushes the text over. The balloon tip happens since it is trying to show all of the text. \t translates to a tab in text.

Using \t is the only way you can order various parameters the way you want without using things like numbers in front of your parameter names.

Comment

Thanks Josh. The balloons appear only if the entry is larger than the column, and since \t = tab, it makes even small entries larger than the column containing them.

Is there a way to control the balloons within Ninja? Turning them off would be a decent work-around. Without such control, for practical purposes \t ordering is limited to only a few entries or to entries that have very little text.

Thanks again for your help,

Light

P.S. I may have to use numbers, but would rather not.

Comment

Light,

Unfortunately not. This is the limitation of the approach you are using to order parameters.

Comment

The tabbing hack is nasty. I just use the simpler approach of prefixing my params with numbers like 01, 02, 03, etc. You can also use the Category attribute to groups your param sets (e.g., "01 - Xyz Params"), and then prefix each param name with just 01, 02, etc. That way you can have param groups and params within each group ordered.

JD

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post jclose
                      by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                      10 responses