Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Manual Price Entry Using Keyboard - how can I achieve this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Price Entry Using Keyboard - how can I achieve this?

I've recently adopted NinjaTrader - about one week in so far. I've had a few issues but on my most part I love the platform.

One thing is a big problem though - price entry. Most of my orders are based on chart technical analysis and price points. So before I've opened the order window, I've got my calculator and worked out precisely where my entry, target and stop are going to be and jotted down the prices with pen & paper.

Unfortunately none of the order entry windows in NinjaTrader let you enter price manually. I thought it was a bug and reported it to support - who told me I had to middle click to get current price and then use up-down arrows to get to target.

That is fine for commodities trading, I guess, when your price points are 0.25, but in Forex we deal with prices in 'tenth pips' 5 decimal places... e.g. $1.25634 https://www.fxcm.com/uk/advantages/f...l-pip-pricing/

So If i'm placing a trade on a currency pair and, for example, current price is $1.25634 and target is $1.26762 - a 1 cent increase!!!!! (A typical hourly-swing trade) Then I need to middle-click to get current price populated (which btw works inconsistently with my mouse which has a wheel for a middle button), and then I need to scroll through over ONE THOUSAND price values.... then I go too far and have to scroll back a bit, forward a bit, back a bit, forward a bit, then fine tune one click at a time to get to my price - then do the same for stop, entry, target. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes to get an order entered.

Its an insane way to trade when I have the prices on paper in front of me and I just need to get my order in the system as quick as possible - and it really should be 6 key presses - 20 seconds.... entire order done.

Has anyone found a way to get around this? Some other non-obvious way to enter prices that I've not discovered yet?

NT: please make sure this is fixed in NT8!! - Forex Friendly :-D

Hello reach4thelasers,

Thank you for your note.

I will forward this suggestion to our development team.

Comment

Hi,

We developed a special Add-On that is an extended version of ChartTrader and offer much more entry possibilities. It is a commercial product, you can try here:

Please note, that is a Futures version, not compatible with FX trading yet.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,

Lorant
      Founder, CEO
      AlgoTrader (AlgoSys LLC)

Comment

That Looks like just what I am after Lorant. Looks good - which aspect of it is not compatible with Forex?

Comment

There are many internal calculations based on quantity, price distances that are futures instruments specific. The profit loss, the price decimals will not work correctly... And maybe a "tons" of other unknown issues exists.

But you can try it on Currency Futures, like micro EURUSD, or other majors to see if our framework meet your needs.

I had a plan to create an FX version as well, (I'm FX Trader since 2007), but I'll wait for NT8 because there are many NT7 problems was solved and no reason to re-create the wheel for few month.

Give it a try, let me know if I can help. You can contact me here or at [email protected]

Have a great day!

Lorant

Comment

Here is a solution

I found a solution to entering price into any of the NT Order Entry Windows - its very hacky but it beats taking 5 minutes to get an order in the system.

Download Hawkeye https://hawkeye.codeplex.com/

This tool will allow you to inspect the code-properties that the NinjaTrader programmers have set up and change them.

Drag the hawkeye target to the price box
            Click the up-arrow to choose parent control
            Then enter into the "value" property in Hawkeye

bam: price is now entered!!

I don't have the software to make a video of this process but I've made screenshots and attached them.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello reach4thelasers,

Thank you for your suggestion on how we can improve our product. It has been inserted into our tracking system with the unique ID # SFT-967.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by TradeForge, Today, 02:09 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post TradeForge  
              Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:00 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Waxavi