Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncing two computers

Hello,

I have my main trading station in my upstairs office and I also have a laptop that I use after the 5PM EST close of the Forex markets to see how the day went.

In backing up my main computer and then trying to restore to my laptop I'm running into problem with connections, license machine ID etc...

I would imagine that piracy is a major concern which precipitates this behavior but I'm really hoping to get NT to be synced on two computers.

Thanks!

Hello Segwin,

Thanks for writing in.

What happens when you restore the backup?

Do you receive any errors when restoring the backup?

Did you ensure to include your configuration file in the backup?

Your machine ID is unique to your computer, so it would not be possible to have duplicate machine ID's on two computers.

I look forward to your reply.
    Alan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AlanS View Post
      Hello Segwin,

Thanks for writing in.

What happens when you restore the backup?

Do you receive any errors when restoring the backup?

Did you ensure to include your configuration file in the backup?

Your machine ID is unique to your computer, so it would not be possible to have duplicate machine ID's on two computers.

I look forward to your reply.
      Hello Alan,

When I restore the backup It doesn't have my license anymore nor my connections (ForexDOTcom). I have to re-enter both of these.

Yes, the config file was part of the backup and restore.
      I understand about the machine ID which I'm sure is part of the software security to prevent theft.

I understand the need for theft protection but there has to be a better way of being able to have more than one computer with a functioning NT. Both are working OK now but I would think it could be more seamless.

I would hope at some point we could have cloud backup so that we can access it from any computer anywhere.

Thanks!

Comment

Hello Segwin,
        My name is James and I will be taking over this ticket for Allen.
        In order to help me troubleshoot your inquiry I need some additional information.

When you created the back up from the main computer which boxes did you check to include?

What version of NinjaTrader are you using to create the backup? This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.X or 8.0.X.0)

What version of NinjaTrader are you restoring the backup on? This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.X or 8.0.X.0)
        James G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JamesG View Post
          Hello Segwin,
          My name is James and I will be taking over this ticket for Allen.
          In order to help me troubleshoot your inquiry I need some additional information.

When you created the back up from the main computer which boxes did you check to include?
          All of them.

What version of NinjaTrader are you using to create the backup? This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.X or 8.0.X.0)
          The latest - .12

What version of NinjaTrader are you restoring the backup on? This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.X or 8.0.X.0)
          Same - .12 Same specs for operating system as well. Win 10
          Thanks.

Comment

Hello Segwin,
            The connections and license keys within NinjaTrader 8 use the machine ID as security. So when you create a backup it will not restore your backup connections and license key if the machine ID does not match.

Unfortunately, that means that you will have to recreate your connections and license key. What information outside of the license key and connections did you want to sync?

If you need assistance connecting your platform or entering your license key please email us at [email protected] due to the sensitive nature of the information.

Comment

Hello Segwin,
              The connections and license keys within NinjaTrader 8 use the machine ID as security. So when you create a backup it will not restore your backup connections and license key if the machine ID does not match.

Unfortunately, that means that you will have to recreate your connections and license key. What information outside of the license key and connections did you want to sync?

If you need assistance connecting your platform or entering your license key please email us at [email protected] due to the sensitive nature of the information.
              I figured is was security issue.

I just want a mirror copy of NT on my laptop so I can look at the market at night. I don't want to have to redo all my trend lines and s&r lines etc.

Hopefully a future release will have cloud support which would/could take care of the security issues.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Segwin View Post
                I figured is was security issue.

I just want a mirror copy of NT on my laptop so I can look at the market at night. I don't want to have to redo all my trend lines and s&r lines etc.

Hopefully a future release will have cloud support which would/could take care of the security issues.

Thanks.
                Hello Segwin,
                I want to confirm with you. Did you lose your trend lines and s&r lines that were saved with in the workspace?

If you recreate the connection and add your license key can you pull up your workspace?

Comment

Hello Segwin,
                  I want to confirm with you. Did you lose your trend lines and s&r lines that were saved with in the workspace?

If you recreate the connection and add your license key can you pull up your workspace?

Hi James & Segwin,

I am looking for exactly the same. What it the latest status of this request?

Many thanks.

BR

Sascha

Comment

Hello Saschek,

Thanks for your post.

Can you clarify what you are looking for exactly? At this time workspaces are independent between computers and trend lines drawn on one computer will not be saved on the version opened in another instance of NinjaTRader.
                    Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Marco,

sorry my request was really unspecific. I was looking for a solution, requested by the poster of post #7:

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

At this time workspaces are independent between computers and trend lines drawn on one computer will not be saved on the version opened in another instance of NinjaTrader.

I have submitted this as a feature request to the Development Team. I will follow up with an internal tracking number for your reference as soon as it is created.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Comment

would be nice have ability to automatically sync saved workspace from one computer from another when using same license #. that would save tons of time when you have to go out on a trip or something and need to take a laptop, we already dont have mobile app so at least between computers would be very helpful

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your note.

The following instructions will explain how to backup your NinjaTrader 8 files to a second computer.

Please note that the following list is the items you can choose to include or exclude from your backup (Configuration files, Database, Historical Chart Data, Log and Trace files, Market Replay Data, NinjaScript Files, Templates, Workspaces). Many users exclude the historical chart data, log and trace files, and Market Replay data to reduce the file size.

Also, the new computer will have a different Machine ID and will result in any passwords for account connections being removed along with the NinjaTrader License key being removed. For security purposes all account connections will need to have the username and password re-entered and the License key will also need to be re-entered.

You will also need to contact any 3rd party vendors and let them know that your machine ID has changed. You can locate the new machine ID by the following:
                            • Control Center > Help > About... (e.g. Machine ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)

Follow these steps:
                            • Open NinjaTrader 8 on the computer you wish to backup from and disconnect from any open connections if applicable
                            • Go to Tools > Export > Backup File
                            • Select which items you would like to backup and click 'Export'
                            • Email or Save the file to an external storage device. The file can be found in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8 Backup folder on your PC

Open NinjaTrader 8 on the computer you wish to restore to and disconnect from any open connections if applicable.
                            • Open the email with the backup file or connect the external storage and save the backup file to a destination of your choosing (I recommend the desktop as it is easy to find)
                            • Go to Tools > Import > Backup File...
                            • Select the backup file you created from the location you saved it

I have also attached the publicly available Help Guide section regarding backup and restore below:

Help Guide - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ightsub=backup

Please let us know if we may provide further assistance.

Comment

every time i swap backups i have to redo all connections ? if so that sucks.
                              even if I just backup workspace to new computer i loose all connections or only if I do full backup ?????
                              having to travel and take laptop and loose all drawings already done on charts also sucks,
                              very expensive platform to have this happening

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                              47 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes