plotting into the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plotting into the future

First, NT is an absolutely fantastic platform and I will certainly purchase it as soon as my current strategy is done being ported into NT.

However an aspect of that strategy is forecasting current minimum allowed x,y values and and future x,y values based on algorithms and then plotting those values into the future simply for visual representation. I can certainly draw trend line to those values manually, but it would be absolutely killer if this could be done automatically right at market open.

-Adam

thanks again for making the most flexible app to build from.

Originally posted by tortexal View Post
    First, NT is an absolutely fantastic platform and I will certainly purchase it as soon as my current strategy is done being ported into NT.

However an aspect of that strategy is forecasting current minimum allowed x,y values and and future x,y values based on algorithms and then plotting those values into the future simply for visual representation. I can certainly draw trend line to those values manually, but it would be absolutely killer if this could be done automatically right at market open.

-Adam

thanks again for making the most flexible app to build from.

Could you use an array to store your future calculated values?

Comment

Storing the data in the strategy for the onupdate() to check against is no problem. What I am referring to is a way to automatically plot said stored data into the future for a visual representation of the expected outcome before it happens.

You can do this manually by dragging the chart to the left and plotting future values. However, what I am asking about it the ability to do this automatically as soon as the first tick prints.

Comment

Storing the data in the strategy for the onupdate() to check against is no problem. What I am referring to is a way to automatically plot said stored data into the future for a visual representation of the expected outcome before it happens.

You can do this manually by dragging the chart to the left and plotting future values. However, what I am asking about it the ability to do this automatically as soon as the first tick prints.
        How do you calculate and store future values in the Plot series?

The Plot series is a zero-based index. It can't have a negative index.

Comment

I think that is the limitation.

Say its 09:30:01 and I know that instrument XYZ opened at $10.00. Based on an algorithm I can calculate that XYZ should have a minimum closing price of $15.00. I would like to have the trendline drawn immediately upon open from the 09:30:00 open price of $10.00 to the projected target close at 16:00:00 of $15.00.

As far as I know, the capability to do this automatically doesn't exist yet.
          Last edited by tortexal; 03-15-2009, 09:40 AM.

Comment

i figured out a way around this. Since my future values are defined for me at market open, I'm using the "drawdot" function to draw dots in different colors that appear above and below the current bar as needed to represent those values.

imo i like this wayyyy better than drawing trendlines out into the future. it's much cleanerand looks much cooler.

NT is still the sweetest app ever
            Last edited by tortexal; 04-05-2009, 08:57 AM.

Comment

i figured out a way around this. Since my future values are defined for me at market open, I'm using the "drawdot" function to draw dots in different colors that appear above and below the current bar as needed to represent those values.
              Would you mind posting a screen shot demonstrating?

Mike

Comment

The 3 green dots are target exits and plotted dynamically as r/r is predicted in real time. the dots are displayed on the current bar to show where the current price is relative to the future target exits.

The lowest green dot is the level in which the position started to be scaled out which happened at the 2nd bar from left.

2nd scale out was 23 bars from left

remainder exited on 2nd bar from right.

red dot represents the point in which, if crossed to the downside, the entire position is stopped out

I just have this potted to visualize the algorithm of the strategy on the chart vs from the output window

This post will give some sample code on how to scale out of a position
                Last edited by tortexal; 04-05-2009, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Cool, thanks. I think I will add this to my strategies

Mike

Comment

np, i wish you tons of $$$$$$$

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by sightcareclickhere, Today, 01:55 PM
                    0 responses
                    1 view