Indicator value on Tick Chart vs Market Analyzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator value on Tick Chart vs Market Analyzer

I am confused about sometimes varying values of an indicator applied to a tick chart (61 ticks for example) vs the same indicator in a Market Analyzer of the same setting (Type Tick, Value 61). I can use MACD as an example using the NQ instrument with default settings of 12, 26, 9 and live data, and Calculate on Bar Close set to false on the chart and Market Analyzer. On the chart it doesn't matter if maximum bars look back is 256 or infinite, I get the same results. However, using the Market Analyzer, the # of bars look back setting can cause the values to be different (even with Maximum set to infinite), especially in early morning when market data is moving much slower. In Market Analyzer, even if I have Maximum Bars Look Back set to infinite, I still need to set # of bars to look back. I can set it to a number such as 4096 and get a value that is sometimes the same as the chart value or I can set it to a very high number such as 100000 and always get the same value as on the chart. Once the regular markets open and data is moving rapidly then everything gives the came values even with a lower setting such as 4096. I assume that this has something to do with how Market Analyzer handles historical tick bars/real time vs the chart since everything "syncs up" once I get fast moving data when the regular markets are open. I don't know if this question even makes sense since I obviously don't understand what is happening. All I know is that with MA in the early morning with slow data that I sometimes need a very large number for # of Bars to Look Back (100000) until I get rapidly moving data when a much smaller value will suffice to give the same value as on the chart. Does this make sense and can you explain what is happening. I would prefer to not have to use such a high value as 100000 for # of bars to look back. Thank you.

Hello higler,

Thank you for your post.

This occurs on the historical data as the chart and the Market Analyzer are not looking at the same amount of bars for the indicator values. As you are aware you would need to set the '# of bars to look back' in the Market Analyzer Columns window for the Indicator and the Properties menu of the Market Analyzer, but we also need to match this to the chart by right clicking in the chart > selecting Data Series > set the Load Data Based On to Bars > then Bars To Load to the same value as the Market Analyzer '# of bars to look back' > OK.

Once complete reload all historical data on your chart and Market Analyzer and the indicator values should match historically and in real-time.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I had never paid attention to the load data based on bars option in the chart's data series. I had always based it on days. I appreciate the teaching.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by usazencortex, Today, 12:43 AM
      0 responses
      1 view
      0 likes
      Last Post usazencortex  
      Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
      168 responses
      0 likes