Contradicting session templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contradicting session templates

NT 7.0.0.5 crashes and disappears / 100% reproducible.

There are 2 factors that cause the problem, i.e. the problem does not occur if these 2 conditions are not fullfilled.

(1) I am using a simple default chart template that is set to session template 24/7. This is important as the lower (default chart) session template is in contradiction with the upper session template <instrument settings> shown when opening a new chart (see screenshot below, lower and upper refers to the position within the window!)

(2) I am connected to IB (IB is an amplifier here, but not the cause).

Now when opening a new chart (5 min , 65 days lookback), the chart actually loads in a 2-step process, if upper and lower session templates are not identical:

First data loading : upper session template = < instrument settings> -> Chart will now be displayed according to upper template.
    Pause (courtesy of IB).
    Second data loading : lower session template <24/7> -> Chart will now be displayed according to lower template (sometimes with data missing or double session break lines, see other threads)

Again, if the two session templates are identical, the 2-step-process becomes a 1-step-process, and there is no problem.

The little "Loading ..." text in the upper left corner is next to invisible, so I changed the time interval from 5 min to 15 min, while the second step of the loading process was still underway. This caused a complete crash of NT (reproducible).

I understand that the problem is amplified by IB's pacing restriction, but it may as well happen with other data suppliers.

Two suggestions here:

Replace the 2-step-process for contradicting templates by a 1- step-process of loading data. Only the lower session template is required as it is supposed to override the settings above!

In case a short sighted user (not seeing the little loading text) tries to change chart settings during the loading this should not crash NT.

This is the trace file section that shows an unhandled application exception.

2009-12-15 23:01:20:765 (Interactive Brokers) IB.HistoricalDataRequest.Send: request='ES;FUT;201003;0;;;GLOBEX;;USD;;;1 min;5 D;0;TRADES'
    2009-12-15 23:01:20:765 (Interactive Brokers) IB.HistoricalDataRequest.Send: waiting 11,1 seconds
    2009-12-15 23:01:20:781 UI (re)load complete, took 6,1 secs, 37,6 secs after app start
    2009-12-15 23:01:33:187 (Interactive Brokers) IB.HistoricalDataRequest.Process: itemCount=5549 instrument='ES 03-10' from='2009-12-15' to='2009-12-15' period=1 Min splitAdjusted=False dividendAdjusted=False bars=0
    2009-12-15 23:01:33:562 in OnUnhandledApplicationException
    2009-12-15 23:01:33:671 ********* exception trapped *********
    2009-12-15 23:01:33:671 Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    2009-12-15 23:01:33:671 System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
    bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Contr ol caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
    bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
    bei NinjaTrader.Cbi.SynchronizeInvoke.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
    bei NinjaTrader.Gui.Chart.ChartControl.OnIntervalSelec tInWorkerThread(Object state)
    bei System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.WaitCallb ack_Context(Object state)
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Objec t userData)
    bei System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.Exe cuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(Exec utionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    bei System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWa itCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
    bei System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWa itCallback(Object state)
    Attached Files

Thanks.

At best you just described what exact steps it would take to reproduce. No need to interpret anything. If I understood you correctly you did that:
    - start NT connect to IB
    - open new chart
    * 65 days of ES, 5min, <instrument session>
    * 65 days of NQ, 5min, <24/7 session>
    - while the "Loading data" shows, toggle from 5min to 15min via toolbar

Please make corrections if necessary. Thanks

Comment

Hello Dierk, thank you for your answer.

It was one chart, one data series only, no NQ!

- Start NT and connect to IB
      - Open a 1 data series chart ES 5 min 65 days chart, by using my default CHART TEMPLATE
      - This chart loads TWICE by using the different session templates: first loading of data using the upper template of the "chart open" window, second loading comes delayed, using the session template of the chart template)
      - During second loading toggle via toolbar from 5 to 15 min.

The double data loading may also be responsible for all sorts of other problems I reported, such as missing data and double session break lines, see other threads.

The double loading appears, if lower and upper chart template as shown on the screenshot #1 below are not identical.

Comment

Could you please zip and attach your default chart template? Thanks

Comment

This is the default chart template. Just some different colours, right margin set and 24/7 session template not to exclude any data as per instrument settings (some of the standard instrument settings cut off half of the data).
          Attached Files

Comment

There is no "second loading with different templates". I toggled to 15min multiple times on different stages while data was loaded and could not experience any issue.

Again: I suggest holding off analyzing data loading issues until next beta is out.

Thanks

Comment

Double data query is clearly visible

Below the screenshots of the two charts that are being loaded:

- First chart loaded with session template CME Global Index Futures RTH
              - Second chart loaded with session template 24/7

You can see the different data and the session break lines.

Problem is here that NT7 double-fires data queries at the data provider within milliseconds, which causes supplementary pacing violations. The first data query is not necessary, but useless!

Hope this will be solved with next beta.
              Attached Files

Comment

I see. Please retry after next beta. Thanks

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for your help, Dierk.

Promise not to post anymore on data loading until the next beta release comes out! Is there any E.T.A. ?

Comment

Unfortunately not. We still have to iron out issues.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by merzo, 06-25-2023, 02:19 AM
                    10 responses
                    1 like
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChristopherJ  
                    Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton