Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Market Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market Data

Hello,

I understand Kinetick is preferred market data provider by NJ, just wondering what benefits it provide over other vendors? Lower latency or something else?

Also, during real time trading, is there is a limitation on how far back a strategy can look back. For example, every time when my strategy starts, I want my strategy to initialize since 2010.

Thanks

Hello brent_

Thank you for your note and interest in Kinetick: NinjaTrader's preferred market data provider.

Kinetick has been optimized to be the fastest, most stable, and most affordable data solution for the NinjaTrader 7 platform. Kinetick is built directly into the NinjaTrader platform, eliminating the need for the API layer, giving your data the lowest barrier to stream quickly into the NinjaTrader platform. The latency will depend on your location and internet connection.

For all supported instruments Kinetick does support 180 days of historical tick data, at least 2 years of historical minute data, and at least 10 years of historical daily data. For minute and daily data, for many of the popular instruments there is more historical data. There is no limitation on how far the strategy can look back, as long as we have data that far back for the instruments that you are looking at.

The Basic Service with Kinetick is the base fee for receiving market data, and real-time exchange fees can be added individually to suit your trading needs. You can review all of the supported exchanges and corresponding exchange fees at the link below:

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.
    KelliNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks.

I'm looking for most CME futures contract, 1 min bar.
      How many years of history does Kinetick has and does it support perpetual contract?

My understanding is that the fee would be 55 base + 91 (CME) per month, correct?

Also, Kinectick only supports market data, I need to open another account with supported broker before I can trade, right?

As Kinectick supports both tick data and 1 min bar, if I subscribe 1 min bar only, would the min bar built by Ninja trader on the fly or streamed from Kinectick server.
      If 1 min bar is streamed from Kinectick, how the bad ticks are filtered? would it be consistent with Ninjatrder?

Any recommended broker connection for trading?

Brent
      Last edited by brent_; 04-13-2015, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Hello Brent,

Kinetick does support continuous contracts for futures, so you will be able to use continuous contracts for the CME Futures instruments.

To receive real-time data for the CME listed instruments, this would be the Basic Service for $55/month + the CME for $91/month. This would make your monthly total $146. Are there specific instruments you are looking to receive real-time data for so I can confirm your total monthly costs for Kinetick?

It is possible that you can get some of the exchange fees reduced if you would like to qualify for the Globex Non-Pro Fees. You can learn more about the requirements for the Globex Non-Pro Fees through the link below:

http://www.kinetick.com/CME.php

Since Kinetick is a data only provider and not a broker, in order to execute live trades you would need to connect to a supported brokerage provider to actually execute your trades. For the NinjaTrader platform, NinjaTrader Brokerage, Interactive Brokers, and MB Trading are supported futures brokers.

When subscribing to Kinetick you will receive all of the real-time data Kinetick has to offer, including tick and minute data. The data is streamed directly from Kinetick into the NinjaTrader platform. In regards to bad ticks, the market data team that is checking the data will watch certain exchnages on a regular basis because they are known for having bad ticks. So those bad ticks are corrected right away because they are keeping a close eye on them. There is also a setting within NinjaTrader that you can set to your needs to filter bad ticks if they do come through. You can get to this filter by going to Tools > Options > Data Tab > Filter bad ticks. You can learn more about this at the link below:

Comment

Kelli,

Thanks for your instant reply.

I have two more questions
          1. bad ticks. If I subscribe 1 min bar only, and have filter bad ticks checked. My understanding is that this option will not be effective as the 1 min bar is streamed from the server. NJ trader client cannot filter bad ticks out of 1 min bar, right?

2. continuous contract - for instance, I want to trade NQM5.
          I have two options to setup.
          a) check MergeBackAdjusted option, and NJ will merge market data from previous contracts
          b) use the continuous contract provided by Kinetick. In this case, how do I know which front month I'm trading on?

Thanks
          Brent

Comment

Hello Brent,

1. For the bad tick filter, this will filter the bad ticks from being plotted from within NinjaTrader, even for minute data. As long as the tick is within the set percentage away, then the tick will not be displayed within NinjaTrader.

2. Kinetick runs on the Telvent Server Technology, and they will determine the front month that is being used for the continuous contract. If you use the continuous contract, you would need to compare the front months with the continuous contract. Whichever front month matches the continuous contract, then this is what is being used.

Comment

Kelli,

I have a follow up question about continuous contract.

I'm designing a strategy that runs on continuous contract and trade automatically. Since this continuous contract's front month is determined by Kinetick, how should I design my strategy to roll over (get out of position from old contract and roll into new contract) and who would I know when to roll over?

Would this must be done manually? If so can you please give me an example?

Thanks

Comment

Hello Brent,

Thank you for the follow up.

The instruments will roll-over automatically. You will just need to update your default instrument list periodically.
                • From within the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
                • Highlight the contract you wish to rollover in the left side of the Instrument Manager window
                • Press the ">" button (the instrument will disappear from the list)
                • Press the "<" button and the instrument should re-appear with the front month expiration date

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/rolling_over_a_futures_contrac.htm

If you choose to roll over an instrument contract before it is set to roll over in NinjaTrader you will need to update it's roll over date.
                • To do this go to Tools> Instrument Manager
                • Under the Available Master Instruments list select the instrument you want to update and press Edit
                • Select the Misc tab and scroll down to the bottom
                • Click on Contract Months and press the "..." button
                • Select the contract month you want to roll over to
                • Change the Rollover Date
                • Select OK in the Contract Months, Instrument Editor, and instrument Manager screen

Now you will be able to properly chart the selected instrument with the updated expiry

Below I have provided a link to the Editing Instruments section of our help guide.

Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanL; 04-17-2015, 08:01 AM.
                Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanL View Post
                  Hello Brent,

The instruments will roll-over automatically. You will just need to update your default instrument list periodically.
                  • From within the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
                  • Highlight the contract you wish to rollover in the left side of the Instrument Manager window
                  • Press the ">" button (the instrument will disappear from the list)
                  • Press the "<" button and the instrument should re-appear with the front month expiration date

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/rolling_over_a_futures_contrac.htm

If you choose to roll over an instrument contract before it is set to roll over in NinjaTrader you will need to update it's roll over date.
                  • To do this go to Tools> Instrument Manager
                  • Under the Available Master Instruments list select the instrument you want to update and press Edit
                  • Select the Misc tab and scroll down to the bottom
                  • Click on Contract Months and press the "..." button
                  • Select the contract month you want to roll over to
                  • Change the Rollover Date
                  • Select OK in the Contract Months, Instrument Editor, and instrument Manager screen

Now you will be able to properly chart the selected instrument with the updated expiry

Below I have provided a link to the Editing Instruments section of our help guide.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nstruments.htm
                  Ryan,

You answer helps a lot. But I'm still trying to figure out how should I set-up my strategy.

I'm trying to trade a strategy that will need years historical future's data.

I know that I can use
                  1. continuous contract provided by market data vendor, e.g. Kinetick
                  2. let Ninja trade to merge back historical data

My questions is
                  1. How to setup my strategies for each scenario
                  2. What the procedure is to rollover a contract for each scenario
                  3. Which method do you recommend?

Thanks

Comment

Hello Brent,

Please send a note to platformsupport [AT] ninjatrader [DOT] com with "ATTN: Ryan L." in the subject line.

In the message, please include the following:
                    1.) A link to this forum thread.

I look forward to assisting you further.
                    Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by gnocchi, Today, 11:56 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary  
                    Started by FAQtrader, Today, 12:00 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes