NT6.5.8 (latest) locks up on load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Default and Menu Droppings

I am having both of the problems discussed on this thread. Problem number one is the Freezing of NT at start up. I tried the new Default file and that did not work for me. This problem started for me when I updated my computer to an Intel Core I7 920 processor with Hyperthreading on an ASUS P6T Motherboard. For the first time, I am running NT on Vista. Up to this point, I was using XP Pro. Never had this problem on the old computer. Sometime ago I had an unrelated problem with NT at startup. At that time, if I'm not mistaken, Ninja Trader always started up on the Default WS. With a blank Default WS, where NT is not trying to draw and populate a bunch of charts along with all of the other startup stuff, the resource requirements at Startup were minimal. I could then switch to the Named WS at a "quieter" cpu time. Is there a way to insure that Ninja Trader starts up on the Default WS?

I'm beginning to agree with Jason that it may be a resource problem related to the fact that NT 6.5 is not written for a multicore processor and that at startup, when the demands for resources are the greatest, Vista does not know how to deal with this. Vista assigns NT to a core OK, but when NT asks for more cpu resources than that core can handle, Vista shuts it down. (Just an educated guess, I'm not a multi-core expert by any stretch of imagination). Not sure though why NT works fine on the second try after Windows Task Manager shuts it down except that maybe some of the NT-related processes are still running and the resource requirements for subsequent starts are less.

With regard to the second problem, where a dropdown menu selection leaves the selection behind, I'm suspecting that this is a Vista problem, maybe related to the type of Graphics card and driver. I have a PNY 440NVS card that has nVidia chips. I am also using Vista Ultimate (unfortunately I fell for a discount price and regret this as this version of Vista has so much useless junk on it). I noticed that Vista Ultimate has a new thing call Windows AERO on it that has some graphics enhancements to the way windows and menus are displayed. It turns out that Vista Home Basic does not have this AERO feature on it (Vista Home Basic is thought by those in the know to be very similar to Windows XP). So, I plan to do a clean install of the Vista Home Basic and see if this droppings problem goes away. I'll let you know.
    Last edited by gpq; 01-27-2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Hello gpq,

Before shutting down NinjaTrader, please close all workspaces you have opened, except the Default workspace (not possible).

Check if you are running workspaces in the background and close them. Please go to File-->Workspaces and close all workspaces listed below "Save Workspace As" except the Default workspace. Select the workspace and go to File-->Workspaces-->Close Workspace.

Make sure the Default workspace with only the Control Center opened, is selected when shutting down NinjaTrader.

Save your workspaces when prompted.

Restart NinjaTrader and it should open up with the Dfault workspace.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Resouce Requirements Theory

Hello Jason,
        Well, so much for my diminished-resources-at-startup theory. I followed your directions and exited NT with only a blank Default WS, shut down the computer and restarted. When I tried to start NT, it froze as usual. Thanks for the help though. Back to the "drawing board." At least NT runs fine on the second opening.

Comment

Hello gpq,

I suggest to give the instructions at post #12 a try and check if it will work for you.

Comment

Problems Solved

Hello Jason,
            Unfortunately, the instructions in Post #12 did not help.

I did a clean install of Vista Home Basic, thinking that this would solve the Drop Down Menu problem (where the selected item was left behind on the screen) and not only was this problem solved, but also the more important problem of Ninja Trader Freezing at startup. It appears that Vista Ultimate (and probably all of the other embellished editions of Vista) have something that causes problems in combination with Ninja Trader and perhaps the nVidia graphics chipsets. As I mentioned in a previous post, all of the Vista editions, except Home Basic, contain a process called "Windows AERO," which is a graphics enhancing thingamagig that makes windows and menus look sexier. This may be the culprit that caused the dropdown menu problem. But who knows what caused the Ninja freeze problem? It could be AERO. It could be any one of a number of useless stuff in Vista that trading computers don't need. Anyway, I'll leave this issue to be solved at a higher level of OS understanding than I have and hope that this simple solution persists in the face of all the Vista/Driver updates and upgrades that I am assaulted with.

Thanks for your help.
            Gerry
            Last edited by gpq; 02-06-2009, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Hi, the same happens to me.

New PC setup: Vista 64 sp1, core i7 920, aus p6t, 3GB,nvidia 9800gt 7.15.11.8122

1) First run. splash screen and hangs on loading default workspace
              2) Have to kill the process on taskmanager. Slow screen response, doesn't matter if aero enabled or not. A transparent label remains on screen till windows restart.
              3) 2nd run. OK with the transparent label on somewhere on screen.

Tried zip defaultworkspace, no way
              Tried running on a simple processor since start, no way

On my older PC setup (Vista 32, AMD 3200, 2 screens) Everything was fine. Also, If I import the same configuration onto a new laptop -vista 32,dual core-, there is no issue

Before I saw this thread, I thought that it was a NinjaTrader-vista 64 issue. Now, I know is something more, because some people have vista 32.

By the way, i found a bug: after backup and restore on new pc. The modified settings of fibonnaci retracement, fib extension, rays, circles, arrows, etc.. does not apply on import. I have to manualy copy default.xml onto the new pc to get it like before.

Comment

Hello Drecio,

You might want to consider a clean uninstall/re-install of your operation system as per gpq's post #20.

What Default.xml file are you referring to; workspace or chart template? Did you check all options upon creating the backup file?

Comment

Vista 64 Edition?

Hello Drecio,
                  For the record, which edition of Vista-64 are you using? As Jason said, I recommend replacing it with Vista-64 Home Basic, clean install. Since this is a downgrade, you shouldn't have to pay for the Basic edition. However, I have no idea how you engineer this transaction. I happpened to have a copy of the Vista-32 Home Basic from another computer. Check out: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...s/default.aspx .

Notice how many check marks are missing from the Home Basic edition. That represents a lot of stuff that you don't need on a dedicated trading computer. These features have the potential for bad interactions with Ninja Trader and your nVidia graphics card, the "Elegant Windows AERO Experience" being the most suspect. With both Windows 7 and Ninja Trader 7 coming out within the next year, I hope that these compatability issues are being addressed. Any word on that from Jason would be appreciated.

Comment

Hello gpq,

We have not found the cause of this issue; some solutions work for some customers while others do not.

Be aware, 64 bit operation systems are not supported with NinjaTrader 6.5 as per the link below.

This does not mean it is not possible to run NinjaTrader, however we can only provide limited support; if we cannot determine the cause of the issue, we would suggest to install NinjaTrader on a 32 bit operation system.

NinjaTrader 7 will support 64 bit operation systems.

Comment

Problem solved

Hi Jason

Just wanted to let you know I found the source of my problem. I have an ASUS motherboard and one of their software utilities was the cause. The specific file in Windows Task Manager is "aaCenter.exe". Once I removed the utility the problem went away.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jrobin View Post
                        Hi Jason

Just wanted to let you know I found the source of my problem. I have an ASUS motherboard and one of their software utilities was the cause. The specific file in Windows Task Manager is "aaCenter.exe". Once I removed the utility the problem went away.

John
                        John,

I did a search for aaCenter.exe and found this interesting thread about it at www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=208266 . There, Gelcat posted:

"go to>
                        C:\program files\ASUS\AASP\1.00.32 and rename all ".exe" in ".xxx"
                        the program doesn't work and if yuou need it some day it's still there.
                        I dsabled it 2 weeks ago and everything is OK
                        "

I am running XP Pro 32 Bit version with Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Yorkfield 3.2GHz LGA 775 136W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569QX9770. Have renamed the .exe files to .exexxx from Safe Mode. My problem was intermittent so it is too early to tell, but thanks John.
                        Last edited by Jim W.; 02-08-2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Hi Jim

I knew when I used task manager to end process aaCenter.exe and the left over tab my on screen went away that I found the culprit. I've uninstalled and deleted all ASUS utilities. My system is running a little faster also. I am running 64 bit Vista on an Intel Core I7 920 processor.

John

Originally posted by Jim W. View Post
                          John,

I did a search for aaCenter.exe and found this interesting thread about it at www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=208266 . There, Gelcat posted:

"go to>
                          C:\program files\ASUS\AASP\1.00.32 and rename all ".exe" in ".xxx"
                          the program doesn't work and if yuou need it some day it's still there.
                          I dsabled it 2 weeks ago and everything is OK
                          "

I am running XP Pro 32 Bit version and have renamed the .exe files to .exexxx from Safe Mode. My problem was intermittent so it is too early to tell, but thanks John.

Comment

Solved. That's right. Thanks.

Thanks all of you, and specially jrobin.

That's right. aacenter.exe was the faulty program involved, all is fine now.

Jason, about the lost modified settings after restore on new pc (fibonnaci retracement, fib extension, rays, circles, arrows,etc..). I checked all options prior to backup (except market replay). The only way to get my settings as before was copying the Default.xml file (workspaces folder) from my older pc.

Thanks and regards,
                            Daniel.

Comment

Retraction

Thanks to jrobin and JimW I now believe that I was wrong in my assertion that the edition of Windows Vista was the root cause of the problems reported here. I too have an ASUS motherboard and in the process of performing a clean install of Vista Basic over the Vista Utimate, I cleaned my computer of all ASUS utilities and never reinstalled them. So I inadvertenly stumbled onto the solution without realizing the true identity of the culprit. It looks like aaCenter was the cause of my problems as well. I certainly will not be re-installing any of the ASUS utilities and, even though I now believe that the Vista edition is probably not an issue, I will not be re-installing the Ultimate edition. I am now a true believer in the Axiom that, with regard to a trading computer, "Less is More."

Thanks all for your suggestions and posts. It has been very productive and helpful.

Comment

Hello all,

jrobin, thank you for reporting the source of the issue. I see most users in this thread share the ASUS utilities, which seem to be the cause of the issue. I will send out a note to all support members to update them regarding this.

I would like to thank all who participated in this thread to find a solution.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by aa731, Today, 02:54 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post aa731
                                by aa731

Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM
                                3 responses