Angle errors when moving lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angle errors when moving lines

To be able to extend trendlines and maintain the angles etc (building channels) with NT you have to resort to copying and pasting line segments. Doing that, the individual line segments often become unaligned, it looks like one end of the line 'snaps' to some invisible grid and the angle of the line (slope) is changed. If you move the line some more, sometimes it 'snaps' back to it's original angle.

I can't describe this in any better way. I've attached a small image showing how one line (the top one) has been copied and pasted onto the chart, and then moved into position. No other change has been made. Look closely and you'll see that they no longer have the same angles (you might have to enlarge the image).

If you draw somewhat complicated channels etc this is very annoying since longer trendlines don't match and look broken. Even if you have succeeded in drawing what looks like a correct chart, sometimes lines become unaligned if the y-scale is changed.

If you want to see the "wobble" effect, draw a longish line on the chart with about 45 degrees angle to the time axis and slowly drag it up and down, observing the endpoints.
    Attached Files

Hmm. The grid it snaps to is the bars. It will try to extend and match up to have the end points be in the center of the bars. I made many copy pastes but can't seem to see what you are seeing.
    Attached Files
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Hmm. The grid it snaps to is the bars. It will try to extend and match up to have the end points be in the center of the bars. I made many copy pastes but can't seem to see what you are seeing.
      Here's another way to illustrate the same problem. I've used two lines to construct a longer line with the same angle towards the horizontal axis. Then I changed the vertical scale, and suddenly the two line segments are off by a pixel or two.

Note, this does not happen all the time, but often enough to become a source of frustration. Imagine when this happens in a chart like this http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/attach...postid=2037384 or like this http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/attach...postid=2039125 which are constructed by a large number of small line segments. Unfortunately this is the only way to construct channels in NT since there is no way to extend a line while maintaining it's angle etc.

NT is a great piece of software, but it still lacks a lot when it comes to drawing support, and I don't mean this "bug". If memory serves I posted before that it would be good to take a look at some of your competition for ideas .
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.

Comment

This is the nature of copied trendlines. Each line has two anchor points which dicate the pixel the lines fall on base on the y-scale. For comparison, I quickly tested this on eSignal with the exact same result you experienced.
          RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
            This is the nature of copied trendlines. Each line has two anchor points which dicate the pixel the lines fall on base on the y-scale. For comparison, I quickly tested this on eSignal with the exact same result you experienced.
            Thanks for taking your time to look into this. Maybe this is a chance to make NT better than the competition (you already are in many areas). Anyway, I have never used eSignal, but never experienced this kind of problem using qcharts (now an eSignal product) or QT etc.

If it was possible to change line length while maintaining the line angle this would be a non-issue. I think I suggested that in some other post.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
            5 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
            Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post DanielSanMartin