Strategy Analyzer slow to Load Trade Details Between Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Analyzer slow to Load Trade Details Between Results

So I have been trying to figure out why it takes a long time to load detailed trade listings/results from an optimizer run?

What happens is I often run quick optimizations each morning for the day ahead and get 5-10 results to review/analyse. When I click down via the results (On the Optimizer tab) I can see the settings/summary etc very quickly. If however I cluck on "Trades", NT will sit there for some time either retrieving those trade listings. This seems independent of the actual number of trades listed, i.e. it takes a long time (2-5 minutes to show up in almost all cases) even if there are 10 or so trades listed.

What causes this and is this expected behavior??

BTW, I have had zero other issues about NT7 for several betas now, so this is the only obvious thing remaining. I am on NT7, latest beta.

Hello dnoff,

This is as expected - it can take a while for all data to be loaded under the Trades-tab. However, it should depend on how many trades occurred.

If the Trades-tab only contains 10 trades, does it take minutes to load it each and every time?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I just did a quick set of tests with very small trade sets (ranging between 1 and 14 trades listed tin the "Optimizer" result listing):

1 Trade took about 65 seconds load
      4 Trades ~ 85 seconds
      17 Trades ~ 100 seconds

This is/has been very consistent results for me over some time. Thoughts?

Comment

Unfortunately this is as expected. If you have the Executions-tab selected, it will need to load all executions that took place. The Summary-tab does not have to load all that information, so it displays much quicker.

I see that '10 trades' refers to the 10 different backtests listed under the Optimizer-tab. I assumed the Trades-tab only had to load 10 trades which took 2-5 minutes to load.

Unfortunately it can take a while for information to be loaded for the Trades and Executions tabs depending on how much information needs to be loaded.

Comment

Just quick correction/clarification the timing indicated above was about loading 10 trades under the "Trades Tab" within an individual test result set, so this is taking a long time to load.....

I guess as a programmer by trade, why would 10 records take 65 seconds to load???

Comment

It should not take that long to load 10 trades in the Trades-tab. I cannot reproduce this on my end.

Are you able to reproduce it consistently? Each time a few trades need to be loaded in the Trades-tab, it takes more than a minute to load?

Does it take that long if you use a different strategy or different settings?

Comment

Yes I can consistently produce those results using the main backtesting strategy I have. I have not tested if there are any changes made in RC1 that will impact that, so I will try out later today and report back, but yes this consistent behaviour for me.

Comment

Please let me know the outcome in RC1. Can you test the SampleMACrossOver strategy as well and check if it will make a difference.

If the issue persists, please send your strategy so we can test it on our end. Please send it to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. Put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header and reference this forum thread.

Please include what backtest settings you use when the issue occurs as well.

Comment

So here is what I have found playing around with the result sets and load times, and I am a little confused as to why it would make any difference.

So if I run 2 different strategies have, 1 uses daily bars and the second uses a combination of daily bars and 1 minutes (for executing intraday signals):

Strategy 1, uses daily bars and was optimized on 1 parameter to produce 4 results.
                  Strategy 2 uses daily bars for some signals and also 1 minute bars to enter and exist signals intraday.

To generate approx 180-220 trades, I used 10 years of data for Strategy 1, and 5 years of data for Strategy 2.

Now the really interesting and very confusing part is this:

For Strategy 1, the trade details "tab" for each optimization result opens nears instantly (about 1-3 second lag each.

For Strategy 2, the trade details for each optimization result takes far greater time - on average 30-45 seconds for the trade details "tab" to open.

Why would the testing timeframe/bar time series make any difference to the results?? - are the results "stored" after being executed???

This seems like some kind of bug here and is very strange.

BTW - this is using RC1

Comment

Ok, so both optimizations produce around the same amount of trades under the Trades-tab, but strategy 2 takes more time to load the same amount of trades?

Could you please send your strategies, so I can test it on my end.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
                    Started by chartchart, 05-19-2021, 04:14 PM
                    3 responses
                    1 like