Expose an API for Bar Creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expose an API for Bar Creation

I've looked around the forums and haven't come across this suggestion yet. Basically, for every platform, there are users calling for various flavors of range bars, or renko bars, or pnf charts, or kagi, etc., etc... and I think any platform would benefit greatly by exposing bar-generation with an API.

This way, just as with indicators, the user community could supply any bar type imaginable. What a huge differentiator that would be!

I won't go into a suggested implementation because I don't know what would be smoothest for ninja, but the basic idea is that you'd have a new study type (beyond the current Indicator/Strategy) which would be notified of incoming ticks, and then tell ninja by some mechanism what the ohlc and volume should be, and presumably when to start a new bar. The current supported bar types ideally would then be converted to this method, so that users can see examples of how new types can be created.

I hope this makes sense... once I cobbled together a hack indicator that you apply to a normal chart tick-by-tick... and then it outputs ASCII flat-files of OHLC data which I can then re-import into the platform and view the charts after-the-fact. I was able to easily make all kinds of strange hybrid chart types (like volume charts that only counted volume from block trades, or range-bar charts that also have a maximum time per bar). The possibilities are truly endless and I believe that a platform that fully supported this kind of experimentation would be really amazing.

I realize that many weird bar-types can be simulated via plots on top of existing bars, but the advantage of making the bar types native would be that you can apply all the existing indicators to them. That's a huge difference.

Anyway, I thought I'd at least suggest it. I am the main EOTPro.com developer and we have recently expanded our offerings to ninja. I liked the platform so much I just purchased a llfetime license and it is now my primary trading platform. It is also the main platform we show off in our live room. You really have an excellent product.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for spending time and voicing your thoughts. I will forward it to development.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I support this suggestion. I would definitely see application for custom bar types and applied strategies.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardTodd View Post
        I've looked around the forums and haven't come across this suggestion yet. Basically, for every platform, there are users calling for various flavors of range bars, or renko bars, or pnf charts, or kagi, etc., etc... and I think any platform would benefit greatly by exposing bar-generation with an API.

This way, just as with indicators, the user community could supply any bar type imaginable. What a huge differentiator that would be!

... Snip ...

Anyway, I thought I'd at least suggest it. I am the main EOTPro.com developer and we have recently expanded our offerings to ninja. I liked the platform so much I just purchased a llfetime license and it is now my primary trading platform. It is also the main platform we show off in our live room. You really have an excellent product.
        You have my vote on this one.

Comment

There have been several hacks at custom bar types posted, such as PriceChangeBarType, RangeBarsWithoutReset, and Renko Bars.

I vote to have this capability supported and fully documented. Obviously it is possible, we just need the documentation of the methods such as AddBar, etc.

Much of technical analysis deals with filtering (smoothing) data. How the raw data is sampled... how bars get built is the first step in dealing with the data. Having this step off limits to developers hamstrings them from the get go, limiting them to a few approved choices.

Comment

I'd like to see that too!

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the votes all. It has been added and is number 982 on the list for development to look into.

-Brett

Comment

Voting too
                fx.practic
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - fx.practic

Comment

fx.practic, thanks - we added into our trackings.
                  BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Another vote in favor of this powerful feature.

Comment

Hello Konoakapen,

Your vote has been added.
                      CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

very useful, count me in

Comment

I would like to vote for this too!

Comment

Thanks for the votes guys, BarsTypes will be a documented NinjaScript object in our next major platform update.
                            BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Add + 1 vote

Add + 1 vote

I find that I'd like to modify bars to create better visual cues

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                              Started by f.saeidi, Today, 08:13 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB