Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Did I hit a limit in the number of symbols in Market Analyzer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I hit a limit in the number of symbols in Market Analyzer?

I loaded up about 850 stocks (all done one by one) into my list of stocks and loaded them into market Analyzer with two custom indicators and it sent my machine on to its knees.

I am using DTN as the data source and the machine is the same that I was doing the same screening with Tradestation (the program I am trying to replace)

During loading of the data if I tried to open or change a chart (on another window/monitor) it appeared to lock the system and I had to reboot.

the indicators use daily prices and they look at the last High/Low/Close data for the past two weeks.

Should I expect that NT takes more resources than TS and a bigger machine will solve the problem?

Is there a way to optimize the market Analyzer so that it doesn't have issues with that many stocks?

Am I simply running too many stocks in the program at once?

Thanks for any and all help

a) There is no inherent limitation in NT which would restrict it's usage to any # of instruments.
    b) Your data provider subscription (DTN) may or may not have such a limitation. Please clarify with DTN.
    c) Dependant on your actual setup you may hit the wall due to PC resource excess. Please read more here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
      a) There is no inherent limitation in NT which would restrict it's usage to any # of instruments.
      b) Your data provider subscription (DTN) may or may not have such a limitation. Please clarify with DTN.
      c) Dependant on your actual setup you may hit the wall due to PC resource excess. Please read more here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html
      Thank you for your quick reply.

I am using DTN IQ (I am thinking thats what your asking but not sure as they seem to offer a lot of different products)

I will also be trying to fine tune the process today and see how that goes. I would like to follow up with another question.

I do my scans based on the last 11 days of data and I think based on the performance tips that I could make the look back period either 12 or 11 but I do want to add one more filter in my scans. That is the 90 day moving average. is it possible to look at the last 11 days AND have a 90 day moving average filter AND only look back 11 or 12 days?

Thanks

Comment

Not sure I follow. The lookback in the market analyzer goes by bars not days. It will be applied to any filter on the market analyzer.

Comment

Not sure I follow. The lookback in the market analyzer goes by bars not days. It will be applied to any filter on the market analyzer.
          In this example that I am having issues with each bar is a day. I am thinking then that if I am looking at the last 10 bars AND want to use a built in 90 day moving average filter that i will need to look back 90 bars (assuming they are day bars) and not just the last 10 bars??

Comment

Sorry to jump in here .. but MA performance is a sore point with me too.

Dierk ...
            Try this example ...

Load a MA with the attached template, and add the NASD100 list (or the Dow30 if you want to start small). Do not have a feed enabled yet.
            The initial load will take several minutes ..if you have any data at all in your database.

Attach to IQfeed ... ... the reload will take 5 minutes or longer. And on my machine, the nasd100 never completes.

During the two examples above, the 'Loading Data' dialog is displayed .. which pretty much cripples NT for doing anything else. For example .. you can't change a symbol or timeframe in a chart. If you do forget, and do this anyways .. there's a very good chance that NT will never complete the data-loading function and you'll have to restart it.

In comparison, using the same list in QuoteTracker, same feed ... it is faster by several orders of magnitude. I do not think it's a feed performance issue.

And .. just as a recap
            I have tried this on several machines .. all exhibit the same symptoms.
            The primary reason that I and many others run a MA with an indicator is to make NT collect replay data. I use two simple indicators for this .. one on Minute data, and the other on tick/second data.

It would be much simpler and less resource intensive if NT did not require an indicator column in order to do this.

I know you are adding additional traces in this area, I hope they help.
            As it certainly seems like something is amiss in NT's historical data fetching method.

NT6.5.4 latest beta.
            Attached Files

Comment

I played around with it all day and my indicator appears to work at about 100 symbols without a problem. its when I load up 700+ symbols that it just sits there. doesnt appear to hang or freeze if I allow it to run through the A to Z data uploading (using DTNIQ). but where the plot0 'should' change from a zero to the variable it just stays a zero.

This is even after allowing it to run for 20-30 mins. I even made it the only thing running (no charts or other software etc...)

I have tried the performance tips and changed the bars to only be the required amount. I would think that if the machine was too small that it would still work but work very slow.

Is it possible that NT really isn't meant to have a market scan of 800 symbols? I am running a dell P4 2.8g with 1 gig of ram with a quad monitor video card.

Thank you

Comment

>> Is it possible that NT really isn't meant to have a market scan of 800 symbols?
                No, there is no such NT internal limitation. However, dependent on your actual provider you may experience limitations.

Comment

>> Is it possible that NT really isn't meant to have a market scan of 800 symbols?
                  No, there is no such NT internal limitation. However, dependent on your actual provider you may experience limitations.
                  Thank yo for your reply. I am using DTNIQ. Do you think the issue is that I should change data providers? As I write this I see the loading data going on and on and on. I assumed the slowness was NT processing the data and not the data source though.

By limitation I mean that the design was not meant to have that many scans at once, not that their was some code to prevent it.

thanks

Comment

DTNiQ is not bad at all, changing providers likely will not provide the change in performance you are looking for.

Loading data for 800 stocks just takes a lot of time. Just load one symbol, 15 days back in a chart for 1 minute data. Maybe it takes 5 seconds? Then multiply that by 800 etc...

1GB may also be not enough...as soon as you hit that wall, you will start diskswapping. As soon as this starts, it can sit there for hours.
                    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ray ...
                      Understand that there is a lot of data to load.. But that's not the whole issue. NT is rather slow doing the load. QuoteTracker, Sierra etc are all many times faster loading files from disk.

The problem is made worse as NT hangs up the UI when it's loading.. making the problem worse (yes, the dialog box is asyncronous.. so you can click on other menus .. they just don't do much until the data load is done)

Comment

I see. I believe Dierk is running some tests in this area and we will report back on anything we find.
                        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by zoltran View Post
                          Ray ...
                          QuoteTracker, Sierra etc are all many times faster loading files from disk.
                          My findings are different. Please PM me at "dierk AT ninjatrader DOT com" for follow up. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
                            DTNiQ is not bad at all, changing providers likely will not provide the change in performance you are looking for.

Loading data for 800 stocks just takes a lot of time. Just load one symbol, 15 days back in a chart for 1 minute data. Maybe it takes 5 seconds? Then multiply that by 800 etc...

1GB may also be not enough...as soon as you hit that wall, you will start diskswapping. As soon as this starts, it can sit there for hours.
                            Thank you for your reply.

I just bought a Dell DUAL Xeon 3.2 ghz with 4 gig ram and a 10K SCSI hard drive workstation. This hopefully will arrive to me by the end of next week. I would say that I really want that new computer to be able to do what I want NT to do.

What are your thoughts on that computer being able to perform the calculations of 800+ stocks?

Thanks again.

Comment

>> What are your thoughts on that computer being able to perform the calculations of 800+ stocks?
                              Unfortunately we don't have any experience on processing this number of stocks. You would need to try by yourself.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DJ888
                              by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes