Volume bars chart slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume bars chart slowly

Whenever I make a chart with volume bars, they plot really slow. Especially if I use higher levels of volume like 10000. The time based charts (30 second/1 Minute) work great however. I am using the Zen-Fire demo account right now as my provider.

Please take a look at the following link, which will provide you helpful tips to improve the performance of NinjaTrader.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

wow thanks, figured it all out

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
        Please take a look at the following link, which will provide you helpful tips to improve the performance of NinjaTrader.
        http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html
        While the performance tips are useful in general, volume bars still plot extremely slowly compared to time bars. This is especially true if you're trying to look at swing trading or position trading charts, or in multiple 'volume frames' - I've essentially given up on the longer term volume charts, and have to close windows in order to track more than a very few instruments at a time. Because of this, I am giving thought to switching to MultiCharts, much as I prefer NT.

I assume this is because the volume bars are recalculated from the tick values each time. If that is correct, and since most people use the same values in the volume charts over and over, wouldn't it be possible to cache the bars so that the next time the chart is opened, it will be as fast as a time based bar?

Thanks

Comment

Hello,

The Volume charts take longer because each tick has to be allocated to each bar give your volume setting for the bars.

Note there will be great improvements to NT charts in the up coming NT version 7, which is do start beta testing in the second quarter of this year.
          DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ben View Post
            Hello,

The Volume charts take longer because each tick has to be allocated to each bar give your volume setting for the bars.

Note there will be great improvements to NT charts in the up coming NT version 7, which is do start beta testing in the second quarter of this year.
            Thanks for the response, and for confirming what I thought was the reason. I'm looking forward to NT7. I know NT7 will be faster because of the use of multiple cores, but are you implementing some other, specific method for speeding up volume bars?

The point of my suggestion was that, given that volume bar users use the same settings every day, it would make sense to simply store the historical bars once they've been created rather than reprocess them at the tick level each time a chart is opened.

Comment

Hello palinuro,

I will forward your suggestion to our development team and ask them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.

Thank you for your feedback.
              JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post maybeimnotrader  
              Started by quantismo, Today, 05:13 PM
              0 responses