Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Custom Optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Optimization

Hello

I am starting to look into creating custom criteria for optimization and need a bit of direction.

I have looked at the script files for the available default optimizations to get a feel for how it is to work. The actual script for that element looks to be incredibly straightforward. But, I do not see where it pulls certain calculations from. For example, optimizing for the Sharpe Ratio simply says

Code:
    return systemPerformance.AllTrades.TradesPerformance.SharpeRatio;
    Clearly there needs to be a place that NT is storing the calculation for the Sharpe Ratio and therefore additional code needs to be written and placed in a file somewhere.

Can you please point me in the right direction of starting to write my own optimization?

Thank you very much for your help!

Hello jg123,

Thank you for your post.

The calculation can be viewed at the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...efinitions.htm

There is no code or file available that details this calculation.

Comment

Hi Patrick

Unfortunately, I didn't quite write very clearly what I am after. I apologize for that.

I actually am not specifically looking for the Sharpe Ratio calculation. I was attempting to use that as an example to bring clarity to what I was looking for.

I am trying to create my own custom Optimization via NinjaScript. I noticed, as I was looking through all of the default optimizations' code, that there were no calculations within the script. My assumption was then that calculations do not belong in this optimization script; but, instead, are somewhere else and then referenced from the optimization script.

I am looking for information on how to create my own optimization from scratch.

Comment

Hello Jg123,

Custom Optimizations are not supported with NinjaTrader.
        If you are interested in creating one, you would need to take a look at the current optimizations available by going to (My) Documents -> NinjaTrader 7 -> bin -> Custom -> Type
        There are two, @DefaultOptimizationMethod and @GeneticOptimizer
        Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by jg123 View Post
          Hi Patrick

Unfortunately, I didn't quite write very clearly what I am after. I apologize for that.

I actually am not specifically looking for the Sharpe Ratio calculation. I was attempting to use that as an example to bring clarity to what I was looking for.

I am trying to create my own custom Optimization via NinjaScript. I noticed, as I was looking through all of the default optimizations' code, that there were no calculations within the script. My assumption was then that calculations do not belong in this optimization script; but, instead, are somewhere else and then referenced from the optimization script.

I am looking for information on how to create my own optimization from scratch.
          Are you asking about optimization criteria, or optimization method?

Comment

Hi Cal

Actually I am not trying to create a new method of optimization, such as Simulated Annealing or Multipoint Hill Climbing or any of those. I am happy to, for now, continue using the Default and Genetic optimizations. My question is about creating a criteria with which to optimize for. Such as, in the example, one can optimize for the best Sharpe Ratio or lowest drawdown, etc. I want to tell NinjaTrader, "Please optimize for xyz..." It can use the Default or Genetic optimizer.

So, my question is, where do I create this optimization?

Comment

Koganam, I asking about the criteria. That is probably the better way of asking it. Thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by jg123 View Post
                Koganam, I asking about the criteria. That is probably the better way of asking it. Thank you for the clarification.
                There are quite a few threads and examples in this forum of that. Here are some:

ref: https://www.ninjatrader.com/support/...ad.php?t=67962

This one actually has 2 custom fitness functions that you can grab for study and use: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=39493

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post arvidvanstaey  
                Started by samish18, 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
                16 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post samish18