NT on Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT on Linux

OK guys, I'm new to ninja trader and so far I'm very happy. I have decided to go "live" with it and so far it's working nicely for me. I have had a few teething problems but with any new trading platform that is too be expected. The purpose of this thread is to share info on getting NT running under wine in linux.

After browsing the forums I have discovered NT isn't currently supported for mac or linux but that's no reason not to start a thread on trying to get it working under wine. Maybe if we help with the work we can get the nice developers at NT to support NT under wine for mac and linux. I'm no programming guru but I can appreciate the efforts that would have to be made to port NT to mac or linux and it's probably not worth their time. So lets meet somewhere in the middle and try and get it working nicely under Wine.

I have had moderate success running NT in a virtual machine using VMWare workstation but running a virtual machine kind of defeats the purpose of completely running linux on a trading machine.

So to get the ball rolling I am running a triple screen Ubuntu 64bit setup with wine 1.18. Someone has kindly posted on the wine app database that we need jet, corefonts, dotnet and MDAC 2.6 to get NT partially running.

I used winetricks to install the above and NT does indeed install and run in my setup but it seems quite slow in charting. I have also managed to install esignal DM8.1 and it runs fine. I can get historical charts up but when I play with them, they are painfully slow.

At the moment I'm as far as I can manage so I'm looking for anyone else's experiences and tips to get NT running.

Hopefully we can work together to become windows free My focus is on Ubuntu as it's my preferred Linux distro but I'm definitely interested to heae from people using other distros.

Ok, I've hit a bit of a hurdle. I'm using wine 1.1.19 and I have been installing various things in winetricks to get NT to work. At the moment it install no worries and runs but I have two bugs I can't solve. The chart scrolling is still painfully slow and when I'm setting up a connection the page that asks for details like user name and the like is just blank. I can push the next button and it continues but I can't enter the details.

I have managed to import my connection settings from a windows backup file and they appear to work.

If any of the NT developers are familiar with wine and specifically winetricks, could they cast an eye over the winetricks list and maybe suggest what options NT would require?

If that's too much to ask then could someone describe the development environment NT is designed under and maybe some of the things it requires in windows to install and run. That might be enough info to allow me to get the right wine tweaks to get it working.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Anyone? Did I put this in a section that no one reads?

Edit: This post didn't show up in the new posts list so I guess that's why no one has seen it. Odd.
      Last edited by Treggs; 04-21-2009, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Treggs View Post
        Anyone? Did I put this in a section that no one reads?

Edit: This post didn't show up in the new posts list so I guess that's why no one has seen it. Odd.
        I am sure people are reading.
        Probably just few of them are trying to do what you are trying.

Comment

Ta Roonius.

Still not sure why it didn't appear in the "new post" search here but obviously if you have read it then others have seen it. Was beginning to wonder if I was talking to myself lol. We all know what that means.

Comment

I had the same experience as yours.
            The most annoying "bug" is that chart scrolling is too slow

Comment

Sam, what setup are you using?

I guess we should put our configs here too.

Comment

My setup is the same as yours : wine with jet, corefonts, dotnet and mdac.
                I tried with different versions of wine and NT and got the same results.
                What I didn't try is to change the dotnet version... I mean installing a different version as the one provided by winetricks

Comment

I did try installing dotnet 3.5 from the microsoft download site but it didn't install and I can't remember the error. I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 and the latest wine so I'll post here if I get any further.

Comment

Let us know how your Jaunty Jackalope goes Gotta loves those names...

I just did an upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 for my server running LAMP, everything went very smoothly. But, I've not tried what your doing --- not with wine --- I did previously run VirtualBox however and it worked pretty well.

Mike

Comment

So far it's running quite smoothly on the laptop. Very (dare I say it?) applish. Next step is to get it running nicely on my triple screen trading desktop computer. 8.04.2 runs nicely on a triple screen setup but I never managed to get 8.10 running.

Overall 9.04 is a very big step forward imo and the sooner it becomes the main OS on my trading computer, the happier I'll be.

I have tried an NT wine install using 1.1.19 on Ubuntu 9.04 and it behaves exactly as before so no progress tonight. Beginning to wonder if running the 64 bit version of ubuntu might be making my job harder. I believe wine is completely 32 bit based so maybe I'll try 32 bit version on my desktop.

edit: Just noticed your blog. Been added to my bookmarks to peruse properly.
                      Last edited by Treggs; 04-24-2009, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I just tried with wine 1.1.20 and it seems even worse than before. I think NT was able to connect to the simulated data feed and now it can't anymore.
                        When wine wasn't able to launch NT at all I filled a bug report on the wine website. We should fill a new bug report.

Comment

I just gave it a try too but I didn't notice any difference. Ubuntu 9.04 64bit, wine 1.1.20 and the winetricks items mentioned above in the wine app database.

Plenty of other combinations to try in winetricks but it's bed time here.

Comment

If VirtualBox is an option for you, I find it runs NT perfectly and quite fast as well. You can just do a minimal XP install on VirtualBox using nLite and XP will start up extremely fast in the virtual machine. Mouse, display, filesharing, etc works seamlessly with Ubuntu.

Comment

Should also be mentioned that you can run NT inside of VirtualBox seamlessly (I can't remember what VirtualBox calls it, but VMware calls it Unity mode).

Basically, NT can appear as a native app on your Gnome/KDE desktop, you won't even see the rest of XP... just like with Wine.

Mike

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                              2 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post BarzTrading  
                              Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes