Collapse

More usability suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please post exact steps you are using. From the Strategy Analyzer, you should be able to see your indicators despite changing charts. Generally, if you remove your NinjaScript strategy you will also remove any indicators that were added by that strategy. If you change charts outside of Strategy Analyzer this will generally be considered a move that will remove your strategy thus also removing your indicators.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Please post exact steps you are using. From the Strategy Analyzer, you should be able to see your indicators despite changing charts. Generally, if you remove your NinjaScript strategy you will also remove any indicators that were added by that strategy. If you change charts outside of Strategy Analyzer this will generally be considered a move that will remove your strategy thus also removing your indicators.
      Josh,

As with most of the points I'm raising, this is a usability/design problem and has been pointed out, there are work-arounds. It confused the hell out of me the first time I tried it and gave me a poor impression of NT which is why I raised it. Most experienced users would "just know" that Indicators get added via the Strategy and not these menu items (and a good thing, too ).

1. Run a backtest against a Strategy List in the Strategy Analyzer.

2. Select one symbol and view the chart tab

3. "Right click > Indicators" or click the "Indicators" button in the toolbar

4. Add whatever Indicator you like. I added ADX because it's close to the top. The ADX should appear in the chart

5. Click on another symbol in the backtest results. The indicator on the chart has vanished.

6. Add ADX back to the current chart. Go back to the original one which had the ADX. It is gone from that chart now as well.

7. Add ADX to a chart. Right click > Templates > Save as Default. Click on a new symbol to get that chart. Despite adding ADX to the default, it won't show.

8. Right click > Templates > Load..., and selecet "Default". The ADX appears but now all executions get wiped.

Maybe this tooling works with other charts in other contexts, but to view the backtest results I think it's broken. None of these menu items behave the way you'd expect. I think it would leave a better impression on users if you remove the Indicator menu entirely rather than leave it as is, but it would be handy if this was fixed.

Comment

Just wanted to say that one of the reasons I keep putting NT aside is because I'm so frustrated with the unintuitive user interface. I don't like to criticize free software but really this software has been designed without any regards to current best practices. It's like it was designed by someone who has never used a windows application before. Especially the instrument list fiasco. Excellent analagy to quotetracker which I also use.

The worst is all the modal dialogs that I can't get rid of that prevent me from working in other windows.

I keep searching for something better and keep coming back and keep getting frustrated. I guess I just got to deal with it. NT is great but it could be awesome.

Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will forward them to our Development team.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by GwFutures1988, Today, 02:48 PM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
          Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes