Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Adjusting stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting stop

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a trailing type stop where once a certain price is reached, the stop will trail one tick above the high/low of the previous bar. My initial entry, stop, and profit targets are all working correctly, but the stop adjustment didn't work at all... CaculateOnBarClose = false

My code for the trailing stop is:

if ((Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Short) && (trail == 1) && (FirstTickOfBar))
    {
    SetStopLoss(CalculationMode.Price, High[1] + TickSize);
    }

if ((Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Short) && (trail == 0) && (Close[0] == trailtarget))
    {
    SetStopLoss(CalculationMode.Price, High[1] + TickSize);
    trail = 1;
    }

Execution completely ignored adjusting the stop, but the logic seems correct from what I see. Should I be using the ExitShortStop instead of SetStopLoss function? If that's the case, does it still leave the initial stop in place until the position is exited? Is there a way to just move the initial stop rather than having a 2nd one trailing along? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something. trailtarget is assigned along with the initial order entry as Close[0] - value, and trail = 0 as well.
    Last edited by Xkaern; 01-08-2008, 11:47 AM.

In concept what you wish to do is sound. You will just need to debug your code to see why its not working as you expect.

Here is a reference sample - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/v...ead.php?t=3222
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yea, I saw that reference, also. Doesn't seem much different than what I'm doing, so maybe a variable assignment has gone awry somewhere. That code should be all I need once it's functioning properly then, correct? Meaning I don't need the ExitLong/ShortStop functions? What are those used for?

Comment

In concept, your approach should work...I did not review your code for correct logic, you will need to do that and debug.

- Set() methods submit orders as executions come in, Exit() methods place orders as they are called in your code

Comment

When playing with stop levels I always find it very helpful to place a dot on the chart like this:

DrawDot("stop"+CurrentBar, 0, price, Color.Blue);

It lets you know exactly what is happening with the calculation. I also use different colors for different conditions, it's an easy way to visually debug.

Comment

Excellent tip! Will add this to our debug tip.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
            172 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post sidlercom80  
            Started by Irukandji, Yesterday, 02:53 AM
            2 responses