Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Calculate On Bar Close/Open-Low-High-Close relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculate On Bar Close/Open-Low-High-Close relationship

Hi all,

If 'Calculate on bar close' if False are the values of Open[0], Close[0], High[0] and Low[0] modified with each tick before OnBarUpdate gets called?

I'm guessing the answer is yes but want to confirm.

john

Hi John,

Thanks for the post. The standard Open ,High, Low, Close values for your bars would be considered price data, so they will update independent of CalculateOnBarClose settings. There isn't available a COBC setting for standard price bars.

If you use Open[0], Close[0], etc in a script, then their values will update according to the scripts' CalculateOnBarClose settings. If CalculateOnBarClose = false, then OnBarUpate() will be raised with each tick. If COBC = true, then OnBarUpdate() is raised only on bar close.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your response. I didn't ask the question well. I understand that onbarupdate is called differently based on the CalculateOnBarClose setting.

The scenario I was exploring was if CalculateOnBarClose is false and OnBarUpdate is called with each tick. In that scenario are High[0] and Low[0] updated by the platform with each tick or is High[0] only set at the end of the time frame? I want to be absolutely sure.

john

Comment

Hi John, they would be updated with each tick as well, so as new Highs and Lows are seen. With CalculateOnBarClose set to 'false' index 0 always means the currently developing / updating bar. With CalculateOnBarClose set to 'true' index 0 means the last completed bar.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan,

On historical testing I understand the setting 'calculate on bar close' = false is irrelevant as it is always calculated as 'calculate on bar close' = true.

I have a strategy that enters a limit order 3 pips lower than the high of the last bar. What I would like the strategy to do is that:

"IF two bars have passed since the limit order was placed and the limit order is not filled, cancel the limit order". I have done this for historical testing by assigning an integer variable (called 'barcount') thats adds 1 to itself each time OnBarUpdate is called, and when 'barcount' = 3 then do not resubmit the limit order. This works on historical testing because OnBarUpdate is called on each bar for historical testing ('calculate on bar close' = true).

So...my question is how do I achieve the same thing for live testing when 'Calculate on bar close' = false, as each OnBarUpdate will calculate on each tick.?

Many thanks.

Comment

Hi adam_norsworthy,
            You can check when property FirstTickOfBar == true which is only once per bar. A sample showing best way to combine bar close/every tick logic is available here:
            Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Perfect. Thanks Ryan.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by chartchart, 05-19-2021, 04:14 PM
              3 responses
              1 like
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by bsbisme, Yesterday, 02:08 PM