X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing when using template with multiple series on chart

Originally posted by Harry View Post
    Hello Chelsea,

....Maybe the freeze only occurs with multi-timeframe indicators. ...
    FWIW, you can certainly see freezing with multiple time frame templates:

1. Plot a simple 1 minute ES chart (candles) with any indicator in panel 2
    2. Superimpose a 5 minute ES (Box) on the same chart in panel 1
    3. Save it as a chart template

4. Start a new workspace
    5. Plot ES 1-min and a ES 5-min superimposed
    6. Apply the saved template
    7. Chart freezes.

The only way to get out is either to remove NT8 from the Task Manager or a hard computer shutdown.

I think the culprit is the generated "unhandled XML exception" that hides behind the chart and can not be accessed to delete and unfreeze the chart.

The Bottom Line: applying any template with a multi-timeframe series will freeze NT8.

Hello aligator,

I was not able to reproduce.

May I confirm the video shows the right steps?
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hi Chelsea,

I do not see yours freezing but I see that you are getting the "Unhandled" window which you are able to delete thus no freezing.

However, I believe I get the same "Unhandled" windows that hides behind my chart and can not be deleted and ninja stays frozen. I do not know how to delete the "Unhandled" window to confirm your video.

No indicator is needed, Just plot a 1-m (candle) and 5-m Box superimposed in the panel 1 and Make a Chart template. Then plot the a 1-m and 5-m on a new chart (either in one panel or 2 panels (makes no difference) and apply the Template.

Most likely you will get the "unhandled" window which if you do not delete it everything stay frozen.

How do you delete a hidden "Unhandled ... " window? Let me know then maybe I can confirm.

By the way, why both of us are getting this "Unhandled" message. I think this the real issue that needs fixing (beside a hidden window).

Thanks.
      Last edited by aligator; 08-13-2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Hello aligator,

Since you are saying that no indicator is necessary to reproduce, this would be a completely different issue and is not related to the error Harry was reporting about enums in an indicator, saving a template for that specific indicator, and then changing the enums.

As this is a completely different issue, I have moved your posts to a new thread to avoid confusion with the error Harry is reporting.

Comment

Hello aligator,

I have made a new video to test a chart template with multiple series in the same panel.

May I confirm the steps in the video are correct?

Comment

Hello aligator,

I have made a new video to test a chart template with multiple series in the same panel.

May I confirm the steps in the video are correct?
            Please do me a favor and plot the superimposed 5m series as a Box chart style behind the 1-m candle chart style and see if able to reproduce.

Also, as I nted I may have a hidden "uhandled.." window behind the chart, as Harry noted also, and things remain freezen until that window is removed. How do you remove the hidden window short or closing Ninja from Task Manager?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello aligator,

I have retested using the box chart style with the 5 minute series and this is layered behind the 1 minute series using candlestick.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? (Help > About)

Regarding the error alert popup that is appearing, in the current version of NinjaTrader 8 this is not a modal window that steals focus. When this error popup appears you should still be able to select charts.

Below is a link to a video that demonstrates.

Comment

Hello aligator,

I have retested using the box chart style with the 5 minute series and this is layered behind the 1 minute series using candlestick.

What version of NinjaTrader 8 are you using? (Help > About)

Regarding the error alert popup that is appearing, in the current version of NinjaTrader 8 this is not a modal window that steals focus. When this error popup appears you should still be able to select charts.

Below is a link to a video that demonstrates.
                https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zpY...w?usp=drivesdk
                Thanks Chelsea,

I am using NT8.0.15.1.

I removed my _Workspace file and after a restart I was able to use the template without freezing.

However, on a second attempt using different time frames and applying the template Ninja froze again. Seems like the _Workspace file somehow gets corrupted.

I guess I have to drop using overlays idea unless I find a way to plot a higher time frame of the same series using code inside an indicator, if that is possible.

Thank you.

Comment

Hello aligator,

Are you testing this on a chart with no indicators?

Are you taking the same steps as shown in the video I have provided and experiencing different behavior than what was shown in the video?

Comment

Hello aligator,

Are you testing this on a chart with no indicators?

Are you taking the same steps as shown in the video I have provided and experiencing different behavior than what was shown in the video?
                    Thanks for staying with me Chelsea,

Yes, I make the template with no indicators as shown in your video. But I think as long as a chart has two series in one or two separate panels, whether the chart styles are the same or not, I should be able to apply the layered template.

Also, adding indicators to one or both series should not make a difference, after all that is the purpose for having templates.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello aligator,

I am not able to reproduce the behavior you have described when using the latest version of NinjaTrader.

I would like to schedule a call with you so that I may check the version you are using and then perform the same steps as shown in the video.

If the behavior is different, I will collect more information for our development.

Please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please include a link to this forum thread.

Comment

Also experiencing freezes with multi data series charts & templates

Hello Support

I thought I'd just add that I'm also experiencing the same NT 8.0.15.1 64-bit freezes. I have a workspace with charts that have multi data series and I use templates for the multi data series charts

I experience a few freezes throughout the day and have to use task manager to end the Ninjatrader process

Comment

I have had this issue for 3 consecutive days running, where the platform works ok in the morning...I switch it off at 11am then on returning at 12, it fails load and freezes when the charts attempt to load. I have had this issue every day for the last few weeks and despite many interactions with NT Support, the issue is not resolved.....I am glad I am not alone....I am about to start another post for todays assistance !

Comment

Hello TraderYoda and dmackay41,

Thank you for your posts.

I would like into these performance items with you further. Can you send me your log and trace files?

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support. Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please list 'ATTN: Patrick H' in the subject line and reference this thread in the body of the email.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hello TraderYoda,

We did not receive your log and trace files.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with 'ATTN: Patrick H' in the subject line and a reference to this thread in the body of the email.
                              • Open your NinjaTrader folder under My Documents.
                              • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                              • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments in your email.
                              • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post bmartz
                              by bmartz

Started by Aviram Y, Today, 05:29 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes