• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap-Mode unchangeable during drawing-process

In NT7, I could do the following:

1. set snap-mode "Bar and Price"
    2. select a drawing tool, e.g. "Line"
    3. click to set the first anchor of the line, having it snap to bar and price, as expected
    4. switch snap-mode to "Bar" (through a Hotkey)
    5. click to set second anchor of the line, at any price I want (NOT snapping to price)

In NT8, this is not possible any more. Once a drawing tool is selected, the initial active snap-mode remains active to the end of the drawing, any change in snap-mode through a Hotkey is ignored.

This is pretty annoying, e.g. when trying to draw a line horizontally, starting exactly at some Bar's High or Low (snap = bar & price), but intended to end in some "empty" space in the chart (snap to bar only).

Active Snap-settings should be read in every drawing tool before each anchor, not only at the start of the tool.

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

I'm happy to submit your feedback regarding this item to the Development Team and submit a Feature Request that they consider this be changed back to how the feature worked in NinjaTrader 7.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The release notes for NT8.0.11 included "Drawing objects did not adopt snap to bar snap mode".
      I hoped this could be the solution to this incident here, but unfortunately it was not.

I still can't change the snap-mode once I started a drawing (snap-mode "bar-and-price", choose "line", click for 1st anchor point, change snap-mode to "bar" (hotkey), try to draw the 2nd anchor point "free floating") - the snap-mode remains unchanged between begin-of-drawing and end-of-drawing, either completely ON or completely OFF. This makes it impossible to draw e.g. a "line" from one Chart-Swing-point to a point somewhere in the future at the same price (a line to mark horizontally a S/R-level).

Would you please check with the development to include a behavior as it was in NT7 with the next update?
      Thanks in advance

Comment

Item 12084 "Drawing objects did not adopt snap to bar snap mode" fixed an issue where changing the snap mode after an object was drawn could change the start and end Y of that object. This was unintended and was resolved.

Item 12084 did not implement the ability to change the snap mode via hotkey while drawing an object.

This is reminding me of a conversation I believe we may have had via email some time ago. Do you recall receiving an 'SFT' or any other tracking number regarding what you're reporting in your original post?

Comment

The Snap-Mode still can't be changed for the second anchor, therefore the functionality is still not as good / not the same as it was in NT7. Is there any progress to fix this gap? It's pretty inconvenient right now...

Comment

RonnyKeller,

I would be happy to check into this item. Per Patrick's previous post, do you recall receiving an 'SFT' or any other tracking number regarding what you're reporting in your original post?

Comment

Originally posted by RonnyKeller View Post
              In NT7, I could do the following:

1. set snap-mode "Bar and Price"
              2. select a drawing tool, e.g. "Line"
              3. click to set the first anchor of the line, having it snap to bar and price, as expected
              4. switch snap-mode to "Bar" (through a Hotkey)
              5. click to set second anchor of the line, at any price I want (NOT snapping to price)

In NT8, this is not possible any more. Once a drawing tool is selected, the initial active snap-mode remains active to the end of the drawing, any change in snap-mode through a Hotkey is ignored.

This is pretty annoying, e.g. when trying to draw a line horizontally, starting exactly at some Bar's High or Low (snap = bar & price), but intended to end in some "empty" space in the chart (snap to bar only).

Active Snap-settings should be read in every drawing tool before each anchor, not only at the start of the tool.
              Hi Drew
              This IS the original post, and you answered on 20-Aug-2017:

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_DrewO View Post
              Hello,

Thanks for posting.

I'm happy to submit your feedback regarding this item to the Development Team and submit a Feature Request that they consider this be changed back to how the feature worked in NinjaTrader 7.
              As far as I remember I never got an "SFT" or any other number, sorry.

Comment

RonnyKeller,

Thanks for your reply.

This Feature Request can be tracked with the ID SFT - 1175.

Unfortunately, there would not be an update available for this Feature Requests at this time. Feature Reqeusts are considered as potential additions or changes in future releases of the platform, but we can not necessarily guarantee if/when these suggestions would be implemented.

I recommend reviewing Release Notes for new versions of the platform to check for new changes and additions to the platform:

Comment

@Drew: Thanks for your answer. However I still don't get how this needs a "Feature Request" at all. Since NT7 provided a way better solution, I expect to find at least the same behavior in NT8. Removing existing functionality is and has ever been nothing but a "bug", a developer's mistake. I'm a software architect and developer for decades, but never had a "lost functionality" needing an extra "feature request" to bring back the formerly working logic...

Comment

RonnyKeller,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm seeing that this was originally submitted as a Feature Request from anther user some time ago, but I'm happy to do some further investigation on this item. I'll work with the Development team to confirm what's expected here and report back with my findings or an internal tracking number.

Comment

RonnyKeller,

Thanks for your reply.

I have followed up with the Development team who have confirmed that this is currently being treated as a Feature Request. However, I have recorded your feedback regarding this item and have submitted a vote on your behalf towards this feature request.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                      10 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Traderontheroad  
                      Started by firefoxforum12, Today, 08:53 PM
                      0 responses