Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How come Optimizer runs a lot faster than Backtest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come Optimizer runs a lot faster than Backtest?

If I do an Optimize with all the variables static over data from May-Sept .. it comes back MUCH quicker than if I run a Backtest with the same values over May-Sep.

I get the same results -- which is a good thing. But I'm curious, why does doing a Backtest take longer to process? Do other people experience this same behavior? Is there any explaining it?

Part of me trusts the Backtest more...but I also don't want to be waiting around for results if I don't have to. So I've kinda switched to just using the optimizer, even if I don't have different values to iterate over.

Anyone have any ideas why Optimizer is faster than Backtest?

Nyboe, thanks for the post - are you using exactly the same paramter settings for both runs (backtest vs optimizer)?
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, the same exact parameters.

When I run a Backtest with one set of parameters (that's all you can do), it's takes a good bit of time. But when I run optimizer over say 3 iterations [one variable values 1-3] ... they fly by? It takes some time to initialize, but then it flies by.

I added a Log( ... ); in the Initialize() method which prints out the vairbles...so I can see how fast optimize goes through one iteration.

Is each iteration of Optimize the same as a Backtest with the same parameters? How does optimize fly through them so much quicker?

Comment

Thanks I see, this is expected for the following iterations of the optimizer as parts would still be stored in memory and thus quicker access would be the result.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
        172 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post sidlercom80  
        Started by Irukandji, Yesterday, 02:53 AM
        2 responses
        0 likes