Collapse

Can't reconnect to zenfire after internet disconnect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't restart ninja because then my indicators won't work. So I have no choice but to wait. Fortunately I use IQFeed for my main datafeed so my indicators keep collecting data while zenfire is stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by cunparis View Post
      Well 6 months later and I just had it disconnect and now I have to wait 30 minutes before I can work? This really is unacceptable.

Any news?
      There have been no new developments since post #18 and #25.
      MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

This is happening every day, at least once, often two or three times. I know this is partly due to my internet connection being unreliable, and I'm persuing this. But I really think Ninja should be able to handle this as it has in the past.

Due to the holidays I'm home and trading Globex and when this happens I'm stuck for 30 minutes. When I'm in a position it's a real problem. As you can see in the image below.

I could understand the logic of waiting for the next major release but if the next release is going to be far away, then this doesn't make any sense. Ninjatrader has a serious problem affecting its users and we do not want to wait a year for the fix. It's already been 6 months and there is no news of any solution coming soon.

It's really frustrating because I think Ninjatrader is great and with a bit more ingenuity and work, it could rival all the other trading platforms including x-trader. But it's in the details like this that Ninjatrader falls short. I don't know of any other trading platform that would allow a bug such as this to go unsolved for 6 months. How can anyone take Ninjatrader seriously when this is the case???
        Attached Files

Comment

Sure, if you would like a little more detail on what is going on will be happy to provide.

Basically it’s a default setting that has a TCP/IP packet timeout of 30 minutes that comes into play with a very specific disconnect. So specific that we have been tracking number of users affected by this and the count does not go above 15, which for some context is less than 1% of our user base.

For us to resolve this, it means updating to a new Zenfire API, which means that this won’t be the only thing changed, there will be many changes which need complete regression testing. Even if we do in house testing, I can't guarantee that other issues won’t become a factor, due to the new code being introduced. Though testing does mitigate chances for these instances, we currently need these resources committed to our next major release, which already has an updated API integrated.

At this point, when we have several items for resolution in the next major release and if we were to make an exception for one and go ahead and update it in NT7, then that would delay our next major release and would be unfair to the others that are also waiting on items. There are other reasons why this is scheduled for next major release and I understand that you may not want to know the reasons; you just want the problem resolved, I simply wanted to take the time to give you some additional information as we value your input as a respected member of the community.

Let me know if you any further questions.

Comment

I have to say this is a very inconvenient problem that affects me at least once a week (I just experienced it right now). I and others have been patiently waiting for "any" solution (even it it's a side pack supplied by dev) that would at least temporarily resolve this problem. Perhaps there is a way to fool this "very specific disconnect" so that NT7 thinks it's a "normal" disconnect? Any ideas?

Just trying to find ways to get around this bug as it is extremely inconvenient when we experience a disconnect. As we all know, waiting for the next major release could be an eternity.

Comment

Understood, however we would not want to recommend moving away from a network configuration (settings) that work for 99% percent of the users as it may introduce unwanted behavior.

If you do not get an automatic reconnect the work around remains to manual disconnect and reconnect until we can get a new API version integrated into NinjaTrader.

-Brett

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                Understood, however we would not want to recommend moving away from a network configuration (settings) that work for 99% percent of the users as it may introduce unwanted behavior.

If you do not get an automatic reconnect the work around remains to manual disconnect and reconnect until we can get a new API version integrated into NinjaTrader.

-Brett
                I'm unable to disconnect and reconnect. It won't reconnect until the timeout.

Comment

Apologies, right because its in reconnect mode. In which case a restart of NinjaTrader would be required. (Which I know is not something you want to do for your indicators but I have no other workaround currently).

The one thing I can offer to try to reduce the chance of this happening is explain the specific disconnect issue. Specifically it is a second quick disconnect in the middle of an active reconnect. (In which case the TCPIP packet timer comes into play : 30 minute).

Anything you can do to improve stability of the internet connection where it wouldn't reconnect and disconnect multiple times quickly would help.

Another idea I might have is if this happens to force another disconnect and reconnect. Perhaps you can expire the TCPIP timer with disconnecting the internet hard and then reconnecting is stable might have a positive effect. Just throwing idea's out.

-Brett

Comment

We can not connect to zenfire too.

Are there known current issues ?

TY

Comment

No known issues right now, please email into support via Control Center->Help-.Mail to support and include your log and trace files so that we may further assist with your connection issue.

-Brett

Comment

that comes into play with a very specific disconnect. So specific that we have been tracking number of users affected by this and the count does not go above 15, which for some context is less than 1% of our user base.
                        Today I knocked a speaker off my desk and it made my network cable loose from the DSL box to the switch. I lost my connection on IQFeed & Zenfire. I then made sure all network cables were plugged in tightly and IQFeed reconnected, but zenfire is stuck in the 30min waiting period.

This doesn't seem very specific to me. All that happened was my ethernet cable got unplugged. I'm curious if you've been able to reproduce this issue by simply unplugging the ethernet cable? In my case, from the DSL box.

Comment

Hello,

We have been able to reproduce the issue, for reference however a pull of the internet cable is not considered a true test of internet connectivity loss (As other stuff happens when cable is disconnected that is not the same as a connection loss) and that its not something that is programmed against.

With that said however we do have the issue reproduced with traditional connectivity troubleshooting steps.

-Brett

Comment

I've read the posts in this thread and pretty much the same problems have been happening with me only difference is that my internet connection hasn't gone down just my zen-fire feed.
                            I've been with zen-fire/mirus for a number of years now and have never experienced this.
                            Kyle from support was helpful when i submitted an email short time ago but from what i can see i think this is more a data feed problem than a ninja or any of us individually.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the report. Can you guys both send me full logs and trace via the Control Center->Mail To Support tab and reference this forum thread or put ATTN: Brett in the subject line.

I'd like to take a look at your traces to see if we can find any clues as to whats going on here. Again it may be something specific to your internet and how the internet connection is being lost or it may not be but logs and traces would be the first step so we can review.

We dont have any other reports of users having issue getting reconnect after connection loss so I am not sure what is specific about why you are running into issue. Do you guys have double WAN's or failover internet connections? Who is your ISP and do you have a router and a modem or just a modem? Wireless or hard wired?

Thanks Guys.
                              Hi Brett,

I can confirm this problem. I am normally connected with Interactive Broker and Zenfire/Mirus Futures and when Internet connection drops (normally it is back within seconds) Interactive Brokers reconnects, but not the Zenfire.

I had the same issue with Kinetick and thought it was the data feed, but now I have confirmed it is something wrong with Ninjatrader as the error is the same both with Zenfire and Kinetick.

Here is Brazil and in Mexico the internet connections are not stable, but they drop just normally a few seconds, but what I have to do is to disconnect from all the servers and close down NinjaTrader and open it again to be able to reconnect.

Friday the Internet connection went down 5times under the session (just short drops, in seconds, and then back up again). Interactive Broker API data feed reconnects, but not the Zenfire... You can image how enoying this is, specially when you are in a trade using the Zenfire data feed...

Please let me know how far you have come with the bug testing.

Regards
                              Isak

EDIT: I tried to reproduce the problem by unplugging the Internet cable and reconnect it. When I did this, Zenfire reconnected without any problem. Next time when I get this error I will send you my log file and see if you can solve it. Problably on Monday as this happends too often here in Latin America, still with 10 mbit internet connection...
                              Last edited by prisonbreaker82; 01-12-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for that information.

For more information the important posts aret #33, #25, and #18.

I have added you to the list of affected users.

-Brett

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by rdtdale, Today, 01:02 PM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
                                Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                                Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post RookieTrader  
                                Started by PaulMohn, Today, 12:36 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post PaulMohn  
                                Started by love2code2trade, 04-17-2024, 01:45 PM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post love2code2trade  
                                Working...
                                X