Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Unable to add Heating Oil (HO) contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to add Heating Oil (HO) contract?

Hi,

I'm using NT 7 and a CQG data feed but I'm not able to view the Nymex Heating Oil (HO) contract. I'm interested in daytrading this contract among others so it's critical that I'm able to upload the charts and route orders. I know NT doesn't store historical data but I'm looking to access the live data from my data feed. I did a search here to see others have the same problem but didn't see a solution that presented itself for my case, please advise.

Thanks!

Hello LightWeight,

You will need to receive real time data from your data provider for this instrument. You may need to contact them to this data on your account.
    Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Just to clarify, I am receiving real time data from CQG. Are you saying my broker has to somehow set this up and there's no way I can access it through NT?

Comment

Hello LightWeight,

You will need to receive real time data for this instrument.

If you account is not set up to receive real time data for heating oil, you will need to contact your broker to enable this data on your account.

You can receive end of day data for this instrument through the Kinetick EOD feed.
        You can connect to this by going to File > Connect > Kinetick End Of Day (Free).
        Please note this connection only provides historical daily, weekly, monthly and yearly data.

Comment

Well I'll talk to my broker about the data feed for HO. In the meantime, how do I set up the EOD data for Kinetick? Again, it's not listed in the master instrument list.

Comment

Hello LightWeight,

You can connect to the Kinetick EOD feed by going to File > Connect > Kinetick End Of Day (Free).

Please note, this connection only provides historical daily, weekly, monthly and yearly data.

Comment

Yes I understand that part and have done that. What I don't understand is how I get the historical data for an instrument (HO - Nymex) that's not listed in NT in the first place.

Comment

Hello LightWeight,

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.

From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
                Press the "New" button
                *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
                Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
                Press the "OK" button
                * If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.

Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
                Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
                Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
                Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list
                You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.

Below is a link to the Kinetick Symbol Search.
                https://www.kinetick.com/support#Symbol-Search

Comment

Ok so it looks like according to Kinetick the symbol is HOTV12. I tried putting this in the symbol mapping area of the Misc. tab for Kinetick data, but I'm still not getting anything to pup on the chart. If I try to switch to a daily chart I get a pop up window that informs me this is an unknown instrument and there is no historical data?

Comment

Kineticks symbol for Heating Oil is IHO

Heating Oil comes pre-configured in NinjaTrader under the name "UHO".

If you do not see UHO listed by default, please reset your instrument under Tools--> Options--> Data tab--> Reset Instruments.

Once this has been reset, please search for UHO. This should already be mapped to Kinetick using IHO and will allow you to load Daily data for this product.

For any intraday data such as minute or tick, you would need a real-time subscription either from Kinetick or from CQG.
                    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
                      Kineticks symbol for Heating Oil is IHO

Heating Oil comes pre-configured in NinjaTrader under the name "UHO".

If you do not see UHO listed by default, please reset your instrument under Tools--> Options--> Data tab--> Reset Instruments.

Once this has been reset, please search for UHO. This should already be mapped to Kinetick using IHO and will allow you to load Daily data for this product.

For any intraday data such as minute or tick, you would need a real-time subscription either from Kinetick or from CQG.
                      1. I have a real-time subscription from CQG, as I've stated multiple times above. The problem has been configuring NT to recognize the correct instrument and then download the data from CQG into a chart. I have no problems doing this with CL or NG and trading them live/realt-time, but it does not have any information on HO.

2. UHO is not the NYMEX HO contract, the one that has 50k volume on average daily, it is not what I've been asking for. I'm not sure why NT comes pre-configured with a futures contract that is not the major contract, and is lacking the one that myself and several others on here have been looking for.

I don't understand at this point if I'm just not making myself clear, or if NT is simply not capable of supporting the Nymex Heating Oil #2 contract and therefore I will never be able to properly add it to my instrument list.

Comment

Hello,

For the Nymex contract, please use the following symbols:

Kinetick: QHO

CQG: HOE

The NinjaTrader historical data servers do not supply historical data for Nymex heating oil. However as long as your account is setup with CQG, you should receive real-time data with these settings.

You can first test this configuration with Kinetick End of Day and see if you load a Daily chart.

Heating Oil requires special setup on the brokerage end to receive real-time data. You can attempt to load HO on the CQG connection, but you will receive an error on a chart that indicates that the NT servers do not support this contract.

To ensure you're getting real-time data, please check the Log tab of the Control Center and look for an error that would state:

"CQG.Adapter.SubscribeMarketDataResolve: HOEU2 is not enabled for realtime quotes and trading"

If this error is found, you will need to work with the broker to get the account setup for realtime quotes.
                        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
                          Hello,

For the Nymex contract, please use the following symbols:

Kinetick: QHO

CQG: HOE

The NinjaTrader historical data servers do not supply historical data for Nymex heating oil. However as long as your account is setup with CQG, you should receive real-time data with these settings.

You can first test this configuration with Kinetick End of Day and see if you load a Daily chart.

Heating Oil requires special setup on the brokerage end to receive real-time data. You can attempt to load HO on the CQG connection, but you will receive an error on a chart that indicates that the NT servers do not support this contract.

To ensure you're getting real-time data, please check the Log tab of the Control Center and look for an error that would state:

"CQG.Adapter.SubscribeMarketDataResolve: HOEU2 is not enabled for realtime quotes and trading"

If this error is found, you will need to work with the broker to get the account setup for realtime quotes.
                          Ah, okay, I am seeing that message in the Log now when I check there. I'll work with the broker to see if I can get that set up and make sure it's working properly. Sorry to be a pest, but thank you for finally clearing that up for me.

Regards,

Andrew

Comment

Sorry for any confusion Andrew and let us know if you need anything else.

Please keep in mind that you may not see any data initially on the chart since there is no historical data.

Chart bars will however be built as time passes so if you left NinjaTrader running with an open chart for 60 minutes you would have a 1 minute chart with an hour of historical data on it.

You can also check the Orders tab of the Control Center, or a SuperDOM window to ensure the real-time data is working.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                            2 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post wzgy0920  
                            Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                            5 responses
                            0 likes