Go Back   NinjaTrader Support Forum > Application Technical Support > Charting

Charting Support for NinjaTrader Advanced Charting.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
billr

Default what is Ninja so different than stockcharts.com?

I have noticed on several occasions, that the indicators produced by stockcharts tend to be much more 'dynamic' than those of NT. What I mean is that stockcharts tend to show more relative movement in their indicators vs. ninja given the same set up. If I have an indicator that I like in stockcharts, when I go to reproduce the NT version, it tends to be relatively flat. Has anyone ever compared the calculations for stockcharts vs. ninja and found any fundamental difference in the approach to how indicators (or charts for that matter) are calculated/created? It seems that most of the calculations for stockcharts follow closely to the originators formulas. What about NT?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Radical

You can compare them side by side, just look at the code for the indicators you're talking about. Tools > Edit Ninjascript > Indicator. Though if I had to guess, I'd say the difference you're seeing is probably due to the scaling rather than the way the indicator is being calculated.
The following user says thank you to Radical for this post:
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
sledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I have noticed on several occasions, that the indicators produced by stockcharts tend to be much more 'dynamic' than those of NT. What I mean is that stockcharts tend to show more relative movement in their indicators vs. ninja given the same set up. If I have an indicator that I like in stockcharts, when I go to reproduce the NT version, it tends to be relatively flat. Has anyone ever compared the calculations for stockcharts vs. ninja and found any fundamental difference in the approach to how indicators (or charts for that matter) are calculated/created? It seems that most of the calculations for stockcharts follow closely to the originators formulas. What about NT?
Please post some concrete examples.

Are you looking intraday? Daily?

Log or Arithmetic charts?

ema's? adx? macd's?
The following user says thank you to sledge for this post:
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
billr

Radical and sledge, thanks for your posts. I think you are correct that it is a function of scale. I am usually careful about letting something simple like that catch me, but I was frustrated with a data problem (I think) that is causing large flat spots in StochRSI. I checked the calculations and they seem consistent. What I thought was my example for today was corrected when I noticed the stockcharts was set to log. Previously, I ran into an instance where NT would correctly show ATR as a single point at each bar whereas Stockcharts apparently used the difference between points to create bars. This triggered some issues of 'flat' charts. (I am helping someone with indicators so I don't have too much experience in daily use of those in particular and almost none in stockcharts.)
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
TomTrades

Hi Billr
There is a significant difference in StockCharts.com They use split adjusted data! So the price action that the indicator is based on may be different from NinjaTrader.
The following user says thank you to TomTrades for this post:
Old 05-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
billr

Thanks Tom. I hadn't even considered that. Wouldn't have guessed it would have made much difference. Anyway, I think the premise of my question was flawed, as previous posters have made me aware.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
NinjaTrader_Bertrand
NinjaTrader Customer Service

Thanked 1,653 times in 1,614 posts

We're generally using industry standard formulas behind our default indicators shipped with NinjaTrader, each formula could be of course reviewed in our NinjaScript editor.

For the differences, I would believe it's most likely due to the differences in data used - we would also have an option to split adjust data, have you checked it out?

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._dividends.htm
The following user says thank you to NinjaTrader_Bertrand for this post: