Collapse

Compile speeds slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you create new strategies just before the issue started to occur?

Did you make any other changes in NinjaTrader when you started to experience the issue?

So when you had 150 strategies, there was no difference in 'compile time' when you had a Strategy Analyzer opened?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
      Did you create new strategies just before the issue started to occur?

yes because I only use this NT7 to test new strategies.

Did you make any other changes in NinjaTrader when you started to experience the issue?

Downloaded some indicators recently.

So when you had 150 strategies, there was no difference in 'compile time' when you had a Strategy Analyzer opened?
      Thats correct no problems

Comment

Hello,

The main issue here that when the SA is open a recompile can take longer is this correct?. As when you recompile the backtest you had loaded will also rerun in the SA which then takes longer time for NinjaTrader to regain responsiveness as its busy running the backtest again. I am checking with development to see if this is expected however I have seen this occur also on my PC.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
          Hello,

The main issue here that when the SA is open a recompile can take longer is this correct?. As when you recompile the backtest you had loaded will also rerun in the SA which then takes longer time for NinjaTrader to regain responsiveness as its busy running the backtest again. I am checking with development to see if this is expected however I have seen this occur also on my PC.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Just for the record. I only have a dozen or so strategies and a few more indicators than what comes as default with NT7. And I still have these slow compile issues.

Also, it makes no difference whether my SA backtest dates are 1 day or 3 years. It takes the same time to compile (at least 20 seconds). Do you also experience the same?

Comment

Hello,

Just heard back from development this is expected when you are on the chart tab of the SA as when your press F5 it refreshed the chart data as well. You need to switch off the chart tab vefore recompiling to avoid the long compile time.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
              Hello,

Just heard back from development this is expected when you are on the chart tab of the SA as when your press F5 it refreshed the chart data as well. You need to switch off the chart tab vefore recompiling to avoid the long compile time.

Being on something other than the chart tab doesn't make a difference. Well, being on the chart tab makes it even longer. But when you are on Summary or something else, it still takes that > 20 seconds to compile.

Comment

Hello,

Correct. Chart tab would cause longer compile time this is what I was refering too.

If you dont have a SA window open and it takes 20 seconds then this is normal for your setup then in this case.

Comment

I'll try to clear it up again (same as first post of this thread)

1) SA window is closed. Compile time is about 2-3 seconds at most.
                  2) SA window is open, on summary tab. Compile time is > 20 seconds
                  3) SA window is open, on chart tab, compile time is slightly more than #2 above.

Comment

Something else worth testing is this. (may or may not be related)

1) Open new SA window.
                    2) Right click on one of your instruments and select Backtest.

How long does it take for the backtest window to slide out from the right hand side of the screen? It takes me upwards of 20 seconds or more for anything to happen.

Comment

Hello,

Ok yes this is where the time is coming in here.

You can see when you press F5 to compile with the SA on the Summary tab that if you keep the backtest options pinned out. You will see the list go blank and then reload. So it actually relaods the Strategies and changes into the strategy analyzer tab. This is where your 20 seconds is coming rom since you have so many strategies to repopulate this takes some additional time. The compile is still done in first 2 seconds, however the strategy reload is whats taking the 18 seconds. Then if you have it in the charts tab this will also reload which will take additional time.

This is expected and really nothing you can do here, besides when you want to start making a lot of changes to a strategy while your testing what you would need to do to speed this up is remove the strategies from the strategies tab. I would just move them out of the folder and then move them back in.

The folder is My Documents->NinjaTrader 7->Bin->Custom->Strategies.

Or Close the Strategy Analyzer window and make your changes and then reopen it.

Comment

Okay, moving the strategies out of that folder (except the one I'm working on) made a huge difference. I'm back down to < 5 seconds.

Thanks

Comment

I decided to repair and reset database to see if it coould solve the problem. Well now
                          I have 2 problems.

I have 2 exchanges for each equity now and prior to reset/rebuild.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

A repair database would not have causes this however a reset instrument manager would have as you have lost all your on the fly mappings in this case.

This will require you to rebuild your workspace.

To delete/move your workspaces:
                            • Please close NinjaTrader and go to your desktop Start menu
                            • Open My Documents
                            • Go to the NinjaTrader 7 folder
                            • Go to the Workspaces folder
                            • Right click on all XML documents and select Delete or Move them to another location
                            • Now restart the application and it should start up normally

Now rebuild your charts, this will on the fly map these stocks as you create charts for them.

Comment

Rebuild of workspace worked, thank you. Problem #2 solved

As for your description with the SA issue. I removed all but 2 strategies from bin>custom>strategy folder and pasted them elsewhere, definately speedier now.
                              One thing is that when I select one of the remaining strategies for SA, the strategy windows still lists all strategies? is there a way to clear this window?

Comment

Hello rightcoast,

Can you please go to Control Center-->Tools-->Edit NinjaScript-->Strategy. Do you still see it listed there as well. If so, please delete it from there and subsequently check if the strategy is still listed in the Strategy Analyzer.

If not listed at Edit NinjaScript-->Strategy, please re-import your NinjaScript strategy and delete it from Edit NinjaScript-->Strategy.

When I delete strategies via Edit NinjaScript-->Strategy, they are not listed in the Strategy Analyzer anymore.
                                JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by dcriador, Today, 09:33 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post dcriador  
                                Started by dcriador, Yesterday, 10:45 AM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes