Go Back   NinjaTrader Support Forum > Application Technical Support > SuperDOM and other Order Entry Windows

SuperDOM and other Order Entry Windows Support for all NinjaTrader order entry windows including the SuperDOM.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
steve2222

Default Explain/define Limit, Stop and Stop Limit Orders

I have tried looking for this in the Help guide and searching in the forum.

Is there a simple guide/explanation of the above types of orders and when one should be used versus another including the pros and cons of each?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
sledge

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/stoporder.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2222 View Post
I have tried looking for this in the Help guide and searching in the forum.

Is there a simple guide/explanation of the above types of orders and when one should be used versus another including the pros and cons of each?

Thanks
The following user says thank you to sledge for this post:
Old 01-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
steve2222

Default Chart Trader - so no Sell STP or Buy STP

Thanks,

So that confirmed what I believed were the differences.

So I only use Chart Trader to place and mange orders/trades. I do not use an ATM. I use AutoHotKeys placing orders based on pointer/curser position.

AutoHotKeys emulates right clicking on the mouse and selecting one of the three order options.

My question is: with Chart Trader and the right mouse click, why is there no option to place a Sell STP order above the market or a Buy STP order below the market.

Say I want to go long, I use AutoHotKey to place a Buy Stop Limit so I only get into the trade if it trades at my price I placed the order at. But for my profit target I want to get out if price hits my target, even if I am not filled at this price, hence I need to place a Sell STP order so I get out at market. Currently I can only place a Sell LMT order which means if price touches my target does not fill me and falls back I don't get taken out.

Why does Chart Trader not allow you to place Sell STP above market and Buy STP below market?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
NinjaTrader_Jason
NinjaTrader Customer Service

Hello steve2222,

Unfortunately, you cannot submit a sell stop market order above the market price or a buy stop market order below the market price. If you try this in the SuperDOM, you will receive a rejection error.

You can submit a limit order instead.
The following user says thank you to NinjaTrader_Jason for this post:
Old 01-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
steve2222

Thanks Jason.

Just for my understanding and learning, can you explain why this is so? Is it an exchange limitation eg the CME?

If instead I was using an ATM to place orders would this mean the profit target (in the case of a long) would also be a Limit order and not a Sell Stop order?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
NinjaTrader_Kyle
NinjaTrader Customer Service

Hello steve2222,

I can offer no more clarification than to say that it's the agreed upon convention for this order type and is not specific to the exchange.

You are correct that a limit order would be used in the situation you outlined.
The following user says thank you to NinjaTrader_Kyle for this post: