Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backtest results are different....

Hi,

I have a strategy that I've created and runs perfectly on MR, resulting in multiple trades per day. However, when I run the strategy in the Strategy Analyzer (Backtest), I get 0 trades. I have no idea why this is occurring. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    jon

Jon, which CalculateOnBarClose setting are you working with, are you relying on getting the intrabar formation for the code to work as expected?

Thanks
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Bertrand,

COBC = true. I am working with 1-minute bars and am only concerned with OnBarUpdate being called at the close of each bar.

thanks-

Comment

Ok Jon, what order types and backtest fill algorithms are you using?

Have you tried adding a visual check to confirm that your conditions to enter is triggered as expected?

Are you perhaps running MultiSeries and historical data would not be present as needed for the calcs?

Comment

Bertrand,

I'm using EnterLong and EnterShort - so I believe I'm submitting market orders. As for the fill type, I'm using the Default setting in the Strategy Analyzer. This strategy is not a multi-series based strategy. I simply compare the current close to some previous close prices before entering for 1 instrument.

I am using the Bollinger indicator for some of the exit criterion. However my problem is really concerned with why my strategy isn't entering the market at all on backtest, but enters about 5 times per day on MR.

Obviously, I'd like the backtest engine to work properly so I can test the performance over the course of many days without having to run MR on each day individually.

Comment

Correct, those are just market orders, so you would need to debug what's different in your signal triggering / evaluation in backtest vs. replay, have you tried adding a visual check like a dot to the strategy to see when the conditions are triggering as per your rules?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
              Correct, those are just market orders, so you would need to debug what's different in your signal triggering / evaluation in backtest vs. replay, have you tried adding a visual check like a dot to the strategy to see when the conditions are triggering as per your rules?

Bertrand,

that's my point. Nothing seems to get triggered via the Strategy Analyzer. However the all the triggers work properly on MR.

Comment

Jon, can you please post or email a sample of the condition you attempt to trigger in the SA?

Thanks

Comment

email sent, Bertrand.

thanks

Comment

Thanks, got it - will reply now.

Comment

I have developed a strategy which works perfectly in the Strategy Analyser Backtest and Walkforward environment. However, when I run the Strategy live on my Simulator Account, it does NOT fire any orders to market. I have checked all connected (internet, data feed, logs) all fine.

Comment

If you're working with NT7 please first of all ensure the strategy is properly enabled, so it could generate orders as needed.

Next, please add a print or visual check via a drawing object to see if your triggers are evaluating to 'true' as needed in real time operation.

Comment

I am using 6.5 and I have already done this. It shows up on Print check without a problem. It just doesn't trade..!

Comment

What order type do you issue then exactly? What is the trace orders output telling you at the point of order triggering / submission? Do they perhaps expire unfilled?

Comment

I am using "Liberal Setting" with the default "Enter Short" code. Out of interest, how would I check the trace orders output ?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                              2 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post BarzTrading  
                              Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH